FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final cut render problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Merrick
Final cut render problem
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:38:29 pm

Hey guys, I have never done video editing before but have been putting together some music videos over the past couple of days and a weird problem keeps re occurring. I will put together lots of clips and everything will be working fine, then I will go back to the start and the clips will be blank (the preview screen will be black) and nothing plays. Then if I change opacity by the smallest amount or the amount of effect the whole clip comes visible. The orange render bar will then come up and start working through the clip I have just changed and it all works for a little while, then I will go back to the clip and the same thing happens but works If I make a slight change on one of the effects/opacity. Any advice would be much appreciated feel like I'm going to explode!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final cut render problem
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:29:34 pm

I'm guessing, since you are new to this, that you are bringing in all sorts of Quicktime formats and just trying to edit them in FCP...without converting them to FCP edit friendly formats. Because if you drop a clip onto a sequence, and you need to render...there's a problem. You should never have to render just to edit.

FCP is partially at fault here...for making it seem like you can do this. But you can't, not without issues.

Step 1: Convert all footage to FCP edit friendly formats. For a list of those, look in the EASY SETUP menu (in the FCP drop down menu). THe most common format is ProRes 422. The footage must be the same frame rate as all the others, although frame size can vary. But when you convert footage, add that to the timeline, FCP will make the timeline match THAT footage. ANy footage you add that is different, FCP will ask that you render. Although if it is an FCP codec, you'll get the GREEN render bar, meaning you can work with the footage without needing to render it.

My advice is to always learn the app you plan to use before diving in. YOu need to know how it works in order to work properly, and do things right. And...all of the above.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Merrick
on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:55:51 pm

Hey thanks for the response, is there an easy way of converting the footage without having to pay for software? Pretty strange that you can't use any format, is that one of apples cheeky schemes? I thought diving straight in was the best way to learn something like this but I must of been wrong!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 9, 2013 at 7:25:01 pm

[Bill Merrick] "is there an easy way of converting the footage without having to pay for software?"

Compressor comes with FCP. It's part of the Final Cut Studio package. It's on the installer with FCP, Motion, Color, DVD Studio Pro, Cinema Tools and Soundtrack Pro.

[Bill Merrick] "Pretty strange that you can't use any format, is that one of apples cheeky schemes?"

No. That's the nature of a lot of editing software. Avid doesn't work with any format either. They are designed as broadcast TV edit systems and DVD (well FCP 7 and earlier...now it has shifted more to include web). It and others are designed to work with many professional, and consumer level, camera formats. But not natively...as most of them are so highly compressed that they are unmanageable. Thus FCP requires that they be converted to an edit friendly format...ProRes.

If you want an edit system that edits any old thing, look at Sony Vegas on PC, and Adobe Premiere Pro on Mac and PC. But then you'll have to have a beefy machine in terms of processor, RAM, graphics card in order to deal with these highly compressed formats.

[Bill Merrick] " I thought diving straight in was the best way to learn something like this but I must of been wrong!"

Diving in IS the way, but you must learn how the application works. YOu need to read a few things, or watch a few tutorials to get the basics down.

Like the tapeless workflow with FCP:

Shameless plug, as this is my tutorial. But shows you how to work with most tapeless camera systems in FCP. I mean most, because a few FCP just doesn't deal with, and also because FCP 7 was discontinued 2 years ago, but there are newer cameras...it might not work with the new cameras.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Merrick
on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:17:15 am

Thanks again for the response, it's really helpful. Yeah your going to facepalm even more at this but I don't have compressor because I torrented final cut as money is a tough one atm, is there any other possible way to change formats? Can I import each clip into final cut then export it as a new format then just re import it?

Also came across this problem yesterday where I was working on a different video a few days ago and everything was fine with that and I started working on the new one. Now when I try to open the old one instead of just opening it up by itself it tries to load the old session into the new session timeline and I left it for 2 hours and it still hadn't loaded, is that normal? Thanks for the tutorials, will have a browse through your selection.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:31:57 pm

[Bill Merrick] "Yeah your going to facepalm even more at this but I don't have compressor because I torrented final cut as money is a tough one atm"

Yup...*facepalm*. But I knew you did that as soon as you asked how to get Compressor.

[Bill Merrick] " is there any other possible way to change formats?"

MPEG streamclip. It's free.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Merrick
on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:23:28 am

Ignore the second half of what I just said, I just went back onto final cut a second ago and after hours faffing about yesterday, there was a tiny button which I had missed which sorted the problem. Think it's time to look at a manual!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:06:16 pm

Even though FCP 7 has been EOL'd, it's still illegal to torrent the app. This is a professional (well, sometimes we may not act like it ) forum so it's not a good idea to tell us that you've stolen the software.

Just sayin

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]