FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best path for Canon C100 to FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Craney
Best path for Canon C100 to FCP7?
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:20:56 am

Which is the best post pathway for AVCHD footage from Canon C100 for FCP7? Do I need a converter for AVCHD footage to Apple ProRes? If so, which is the best? Brorsoft? Any issues I should be aware of? There'll also be footage from the Canon 5D which I would usually convert to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best path for Canon C100 to FCP7?
on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:08:42 am

Clipwrap2 from divergentmedia.com. I would say Log and Transfer, but Canon didn't make a plugin for FCP 7 with that camera. CLipWrap2 is the best out there, IMHO.

Archive the full card structure...Convert to ProRes 422. DO NOT DISCARD THE CARD BACKUP! That is your camera master...always keep that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Danny Nowak
on Feb 1, 2015 at 6:32:46 am

So- What's the difference between Clipwrap and one of those (seemingly chinese) knockoffs like Brorsoft for working with C100 footage in FCP7 (other than Clipwrap being twice the price)?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 2, 2015 at 4:25:03 pm

[Danny Nowak] "What's the difference between Clipwrap and one of those (seemingly chinese) knockoffs like Brorsoft for working with C100 footage in FCP7 (other than Clipwrap being twice the price)?"

Reliability. Constantly updated to meet with new camera formats that come out. If one is out they don't support (AVCHD is constantly changing as camera makers improve it) then email divergent Media and they'll address the new format within days.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jordan Westhoff
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:30:57 pm

I concur with Shane here.

It's a real drag that Apple hasn't made a plug-in for the C100 because the Log and Transfer process is so easy and provides great quality.

Use ClipWrap2 and set the format to a subset of ProRes422 (whatever you decide, based on bandwidth) but remember to keep your original footage assets for safekeeping. Happy logging and editing, I'm sure you have gorgeous footage from a system like the C100!

-Jordan Westhoff

Rochester Institute of Technology
BS Digital Cinema/Motion Picture Science 2015

Return to posts index

Anna Craney
on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:37:53 am

Thanks, that's very helpful. Now I have more questions!

The project is an ob doc for TV broadcast and perhaps festival release.

Does the C100 qualify as a "professional broadcast HD camera" to meet HD delivery specs?

Should we aim to finish in ProResHQ 1080? (in order to supply the HDCam or HDCamSR tape required)

If we work with lower res. files, is it possible to compile later (either from the original footage or from high res transcoded files), given we are using a third party transcoder, (such as ClipWrap2)?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:52:24 am

[Anna Craney] "Does the C100 qualify as a "professional broadcast HD camera" to meet HD delivery specs?"

For...? Who? Some networks have very specific rules, like Discovery. Others do not. It is an HD camera, it has been used on TV shows before. Discovery puts cameras into catagories...saying if you are a GOLD class show, you have to use A, B, C cameras. If you are Silver, L, M, N cameras. If Bronze, X, Y, Z cameras. Not all networks have this qualifier.

[Anna Craney] "Should we aim to finish in ProResHQ 1080? (in order to supply the HDCam or HDCamSR tape required)"

If you use FCP...yes.

[Anna Craney] "If we work with lower res. files, is it possible to compile later (either from the original footage or from high res transcoded files), given we are using a third party transcoder, (such as ClipWrap2)?"

Only if you convert the footage to Full Res media, then media manage that to low res...but keep the full res media intact on drives somewhere to relink to later. It is very difficult to use the offline/online workflow with tapeless media if you use third party converters. It really complicates things. If you can use Log and Transfer...perfect. If you convert the already imported media even further...that'll be a big problem. But if you transcode to ProRes Proxy with L&T, edit, and then media manage to Make Offline...you can BATCH CAPTURE only the media used in the cut. If you use third party converters...you can't do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

greg poschman
on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:56:53 am

Hey All,
Just took delivery on a C100 with a Ninja2 recorder. For my first shoot (some interviews in a studio with white background and high key lighting) I am nervous about the 1080 23.98 (60i) pulldown- Is this my only option without having to do some codec processing in post- or will the codec be necessary?.
I am using to ninja to avoid having to transcode to Prores.. and to take advantage of the full sensor.
A little nervous about diving into C-log, Cinema lock, etc...on this first job. Can anyone advise me on camera and recorder setup - to keep my options open?

greg poschman
aspen, co
movmedia@rof.net

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:20:05 pm

Hey guys; We can log and transfer C100 footage using our existing AVCHD importer thru Log and Transfer. I believe it is the same one we use to log and transfer from an old Sony Consumer handycam.

Hmmm....not sure why you need another app to do it.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Phil Bnk
on Aug 27, 2013 at 9:42:22 am

Hey Rich,
which System do you use? 10.8.?
After i updated from 10.6. to 10.8. my Final Cut 7 always crashes, when i try to use the log and transfer-tool. WIth 10.6. it worked even with C100-clips. I have the Canon EOS E1-Plugin.
Which Sony-Plugin do you use?
Thanks
Phil

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Jan 22, 2015 at 12:52:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm on a Mac OS 10.7.5

When I using the log and transfer tool I am able to get all my C100 clips into FCP using the log and transfer tool EXCEPT one: he biggest clip. I have tried to ingest four times and it keep crashing at about 83-86GB file size mark. I have 194 GB available on my HD. I have trashed preferences and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help save the day here?

Also, can someone tell my when and why we would use another app like Clipwrap to get the C100 footage in FCP 7? I am not quite sure why you would use that over the log and transfer-tool and I trying to understand.

With Gratitude,
Bill

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2015 at 4:29:10 pm

[Jim O'Brien] "Also, can someone tell my when and why we would use another app like Clipwrap to get the C100 footage in FCP 7? I am not quite sure why you would use that over the log and transfer-tool and I trying to understand. "

Because FCP 7 doesn't convert al AVCHD formats. There are newer ones that it can't do because it's been discontinued for 3.5 years. Even when it was active, a new AVCHD camera would come out and it'd take Apple a while to make an update to make it compatible. While ClipWrap had an update out in weeks.

Clipwrap is there to convert the footage FCP cannot. You are in a situation where FCP cannot convert the footage....therefore Clipwrap is the solution.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:08:49 am

Got it, thanks Shane. A few follow up questions, I had a friend clipwrap the same footage in question from the C100 and it had different settings than when I ingested it into FCP though Log and Transfer. So my question is, is it ever possible to get the same exact file settings with clipwrap than with FCP L&T? If not is one method " higer quality" than the other? But maybe my buddy just used the wrong setting in Clipwrap?

I clearly want the best footage possible.

I have read that Adobe Premiere ingests the clips natively without needing to L&T etc. If I switch to editing on Premiere, I would assume the footage would be "better" or "higher quality" that way than changing it to Apple Prores 422 in FCP?

Than you so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2015 at 5:42:09 pm

[Jim O'Brien] "So my question is, is it ever possible to get the same exact file settings with clipwrap than with FCP L&T?"

What don't you have in ClipWrap that you have in FCP's L&T? Log and Transfer offers ProRes Proxy, LT, 422 and HQ. Clipwrap offers those, and more:

I typically opt for ProRes 422. HQ is overkill for AVCHD, as it is meant for higher end camera source...RED, ARRI, ETC...10-12 bit codecs. AVCHD is 8-bit, ProRes 422 is the best for that. The only difference you'll get from 422 and HQ with AVCDH is larger file sizes.

Re-Wrap will cause the need to render, DNxHD is for Avid...

[Jim O'Brien] "If I switch to editing on Premiere, I would assume the footage would be "better" or "higher quality" that way than changing it to Apple Prores 422 in FCP?"

Barely. It'll be one less stage of compression, but there is no way that you'd be able to tell the difference between the AVCHD originals and the ProRes conversions. ProRes is a finishing codec, very high quality. And there are times that even Premiere chokes on AVCHD, because it's a highly compressed and complex format. It takes a VERY beefy machine with lots of RAM and high end graphics card to edit this natively. And when Premiere chokes on it, the suggestions are to convert the footage to ProRes, or DNxHD...because they are better suited for editing, and are still high quality.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Feb 12, 2015 at 12:39:54 pm

Thanks Shane and all!

So I should clarify I have been able to successfully ingest all my C100 footage into FCP 7 (prores) via the Log and Transfer tool. All the footage that is, except for one clip that happens to be the biggest size of the bunch.

It keeps choking right around the 80GB mark. I have 200 GB left on my laptop hard drive so it is not a space issue.

I even tried putting the capture scratch to an external drive with about 400GB free that did not transcode to completion.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this one big clip will not finish the L&T. I have tried about 6 times, again all failing at about the 80GB mark give or take 5GB. I have cleared all my caches, trashed preferences, started new projects, nothing helps!

Anyone have any input on what to do to get me to be able to get L&T to work in this case?

Grateful for your time!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2015 at 5:34:33 pm

Sometimes L&T won't work. I recall one camera that I was able to L&T all the shots that were under 10 min long, no problem. But the ones over 10 min...either didn't import, or took 6 hours per clip...even if the clip was like 15 min. So I used ClipWrap2. Actually, that incident is what prompted me to buy it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]