FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spinning wheel before playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Welby
Spinning wheel before playback
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:52:14 pm

Hey Everyone

I'm having some trouble with Final Cut Pro 7 on a system I've been working on for a year and have never had trouble with before. Just a little info, I'm working on an iMac with 4GB memory and a 3.1GHz Intel Core i5 processor. The system has a 1TB HDD with 400GB of free space.

So I'm working with footage I shot on the 5d Mk. II that I converted to ProRes 422. My issue is whenever I try to start a playback from my timeline, I get the color wheel for close to 30 seconds. As you can imagine this is a major headache and makes it very difficult to try to do anything. I have my scratch discs going to a 1 TB G drive connected with a firewire cable, but I've used that before and don't think that's the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Spinning wheel before playback
on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:38:39 pm

[Adam Welby] "I have my scratch discs going to a 1 TB G drive connected with a firewire cable, but I've used that before and don't think that's the problem. "

It is now. Consider yourself lucky that you've gotten HD video transcoded to ProRes to play properly in the past. You need a faster connection, FW 800 at the very least.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Welby
on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:51:38 pm

Thanks Dave. I should have clarified I am using a FW800 to connect the G drive. I have a Thunderbolt port on my iMac, but not one on the G drive, so I don't have a Thunderbolt cable.

Return to posts index

Jordan Westhoff
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:34:57 pm

What ProRes format are you using, or is it 422?

Also, look into some faster disk drives, I think your G-drive is slowing you down here.
(Computer has to load all of that date into RAM before it can play first.

-Jordan Westhoff

Rochester Institute of Technology
BS Digital Cinema/Motion Picture Science 2015

Return to posts index

Adam Welby
on Apr 9, 2013 at 7:49:36 pm

It's Prores 422

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:27:39 pm

More video layers than you typically use? The more layers you have, the greater throughput you need, and you may have hit that wall with your current drives.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Welby
on Apr 11, 2013 at 4:10:26 pm

That makes sense, but as far as I'm into the project so far, I only have two or three video layers going at once. The strange thing is until recently, I was able to layer many more while even using chroma key filters and had few playback issues.

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:30:04 pm

I am using a IMAC 2.5 running FCP 7 and I can play back PRORES LT 1920x1080 with no spinning ball. The only difference with my system is that I have 16gigs of RAM. Ram is a cheap upgrade so I suggest you upgrade from 8gigs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]