FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I keep final cut from saving to my hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignacio Holiday
How do I keep final cut from saving to my hard drive?
on Apr 6, 2013 at 10:39:15 pm

Whenever I set up a project I set it to save the files to my external hard drive, for the event and the project. But it also keeps creating files in the username-library-movies folder directory on my main hard drive. Why is it always saving files in two different places, and how do I stop this? If I drag these files that it put on my hard drive into the Final Cut Events/Final Cut Projects on my external drive will it mess up everything?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: How do I keep final cut from saving to my hard drive?
on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:26:21 pm

You can save your project file and media to any location on your system. Setting your scratch disk is for your media.

You can also put your auto save project folder anywhere on your system.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ignacio Holiday
on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:33:04 pm

How do you do this?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:36:45 pm

RTFM

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:05:20 am

FCP Menu, System settings. Look at all the preferences in all the options in the FCP menu. Useful stuff

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:16:29 am

And very basic. Thanks Shane. No harm meant.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Ignacio Holiday
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:17:07 am

Yeah, I'm looking in the import preferences and I don't see anything about how to change where your files are saved.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:24:01 am

As I said, Select the Help menu in FCP and look in the manual.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Ignacio Holiday
on Apr 7, 2013 at 1:10:30 am

Look, I already read the manual before I posted and it didn't help, which is why I posted my question in the first place.

Final Cut is reading my project from my computer's hard drive because that's where it originally saved it. I want to switch it to reading the files from my portable drive. Now I can drag the files from my hard drive into the Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folder on my portable drive, but it's still set to look for them on my hard drive every time I open the program. I just want it to stop looking in my hard drive for the files.

If you don't know how to help it's okay, just please don't tell me to use the manual again or use acronyms that you expect everyone understands.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 7, 2013 at 2:38:00 am

They don't know how to help. They are using FCP 7, and I find it hard to imagine they don't know you're talking about FCP X events and projects. You should post this in the FCP X techniques forum. This forum is for those using the old version of FCP. The name should probably be updated. I can understand how one would think the Final Cut Pro forum refers to the current version.

Sounds to me like you started and event on your hard drive, and then moved (made a copy) to your external. Maybe the project file too?

With FCPX not running, You need to take the original project and event files out of the FInal Cut Projects and FInal Cut Events folders. Then relaunch. If your media is offline, go to the project and press cmd+j for the project settings. Then modify the event references in the inspector. It ahold let you choose the new event.

Note - events and projects not on your system drive need to be in the Final Cut events and Final Cut Projects folders at the top level of the drive or they won't show up in the app.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38:51 am

*facepalm*

Missed that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]