FORUMS: list search recent posts

White edges around PNG transparency

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matty Smith
White edges around PNG transparency
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:28:25 pm

I'm having a little trouble with some PNG files imported to FCP and haven't been able to find someone with quite the same issue:

Basically, when importing PNG files created in Photoshop, things look good in the viewer (the PNGs have black curved edges, and so I just see black straight into the "black" background of the viewer) but when I get them into the sequence, in the canvas (and subsequent export) I get some weird white around the edges, as if a part of the feathered edges is being read as white rather than part-transparent.

What's the best way to address this? I've tried changing the alpha channel to straight, but that doesn't seem to have done anything. In Photoshop, I tried re-exporting the images with a blank layer on the bottom, and that weirdly seemed to fix it a little but not all the way. Is there something I'm missing? I don't remember having much trouble just exporting a PNG with transparency to FCP before.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: White edges around PNG transparency
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:01:20 pm

If FCP allows it, set FCP to interpret Alpha Channels as Premultiplied. Normally, FCP likes Straight alpha channels, but it can deal with premultiplied files.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]