FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Media... Can I save this with a render file!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Lost Media... Can I save this with a render file!?
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:47:33 am

Ok guys... I think this is an interesting one.

I had a hard drive crash, and I lost some files. I actually paid the guys over at drive crash to do a recovery for me, and I have to tell you they did a great job. (This is not intended to be an ad, but I am grateful).

I have maybe 15 sequences out of 150 that are missing some clips. The interesting thing is that while I've lost the actual clip, I still have the video render files, which seem to function as a movie file.

I CANT rename the render file to be the same as the missing clip and reconnect it. That doesn't work. I CAN pull it up in the viewer and see the entire damn piece of footage that I'm missing though. If I could only apply my in and out points from the sequence to this render file, I would have the video that I need. I still have the audio, so that's not an issue. All i need is the actual video file to be broken up the same way that I broke up the clip that created it.

Do you guys have any ideas for me?

In other sequences, it would seem that the situation is similar. I have the render files, but no video. However, even when I try to reconect media, it shows that I'm missing render files, but when I click "connect", it doesn't give me the option to add render files.

Even if I did, I don't think that it would resurrect the footage.

Sometimes, even in sequences where clips are missing, it will still play the video, I'm guessing because it's running off of a render file. In other situations, that's just not the case.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for all of your time!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Lost Media... Can I save this with a render file!?
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:01:47 pm

You're lucky that you have the video AT ALL.

What's so tough about importing the file in FCP and cutting it into the sequence.. other than the fact that it won't be automatic, and you'll have to invest a bit more time? After which, you should thank your lucky stars and understand that you dodged a major bullet?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:28:24 pm

Well, thats what i ended up doing, but it would have been nice if i could have gotten the recconect media function to work somehow. The video itself isnt of the "irreplaceable" sort, but either way im glad it worked out. O wosh there was a way to "force connect" or somwthing. Now on to the other 15 :-/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:35:38 pm

[Travis Roesler] "...w[i]sh there was a way to "force connect" or somwthing. Now on to the other 15 :-/"

I don't know if there's an emoticon to express profound relief... and I hope that is what you now feel.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:52:07 pm

Profound relief is what I felt when I received my hard drive and found that my work still existed.

Absolute devastation is what I've experienced when I lost irreplaceable footage, and no amount of work or reshooting could get it back.

This is mere frustration. In reality I'm trying to be more adept with media manager, and if there was something I was missing, I would have been happy to learn it, as it would save a lot of time. Even if I had lost everything entirely, this one wouldnt be the end of the world.

That said, you can look at it like this:

Just because I don't have whooping cough and malaria, it doesnt make having the flu any less crappy. I'm happy to have a workaround, but this still sucks Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44:21 pm

Indeed. I like the disease metaphor. Glad you were able to sort everything out.

Now don't lose them render files, okay?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:13:43 pm

Haha... Im clinging onto them for sure. Oddly, some sequences still display the media even without the file existing.

I will be exporting everything tonight without a doubt!

Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:32:38 pm

travis, you definitely should make a COPY of your render scratch onto another drive.

you can easily import the render files and re-name them. (if you want to)
i would definitely keep some indication in the name that it IS a render file,
no point naming it exactly the same as the orignal clip as it is NOT the same!

you just then need to re-edit them into your sequence.

it is generally possible to force a reconnect to anything.
you just need to un-check the "Identical Name & Reel" box in the reconnect window.

you will get warnings that you are not connecting to the right file, of course,
and it may be a good idea to heed them.

that instance of the clip you are attempting to reconnect wont be the only instance of that clip in your project, and reconnecting will create havoc.

i would be vary wary of reconnecting to fix this problem.
either find the render file, make a copy, import it, re-name it, and edit back into your project.

OR BETTER

export those sections from the timeline,
back them up,
re-import into FCP, and re-edit into the timeline.

this would be preferable as it involves less work hunting down the correct renders,
also a rendered section in your timeline may be made up of more than one render file,

while you are at it, maybe get another drive and make a backup of all your other media.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]