FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best possible quality export of Alexa footage for color grade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joewi Verhoeven
Best possible quality export of Alexa footage for color grade
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:29:16 am

Hi all,

So I have to get my Alexa footage color graded. It was recorded on card so it's Apple ProRes 4444 HD. I did my online research and most seem to advice export it to EDL but I ran into all kinds of issues which I understood had to do with the native MOV files that the Alexa generates.

My color grader tells me I can just export straight out of FCP 7, using the Apple ProRes 4444 1920x1080 setting, which he claims should be the same quality as using the raw footage. I'm a little skeptical since I haven't found any similar advice online.

Is that the best way to go or are there other options I should be aware of? I would appreciate your ever insightful advice on this. Thank you all.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Best possible quality export of Alexa footage for color grade
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:54:35 am

I may be reading your post wrong, but I'm not clear on your question.

So you have color graded footage in a timeline in FCP, and that footage is ProRes 4444? Why would export out an EDL? Are you sending this footage to another app? Or were you trying to EDL from your color grading session back into FCP?

If you're looking to export out your color graded FCP timeline you'll see no loss if you keep the codec the same as your timeline (ProRes 4444). You can always use Uncompressed or DPX if you're worried. But ProRes 4444 is more than sufficient.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:01:44 am

He would export an EDL when he exports the final project as a single QT file (And yes, if you export as QT, using sequence settings, don't recompress, it will be lossless)...that something like RESOLVE or Scratch will import and chop up. Normal.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:14:22 am

@Shane - I guess I'm confused about why you would be going back to Resolve via EDL if you've already done color grading (and I'm assuming the OP had already graded). If you're going to Scratch or Smoke via EDL then I guess you're looking at finishing which would make perfect sense...I didn't pick that up in the OP message.

But I may just be tired tonight....its been a long day. You're probably right that it's for finishing, that didn't cross my mind for some reason when I read the post.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Joewi Verhoeven
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:15:28 am

Sorry for not stating clearly, the footage I'm talking about is not graded yet, and I'm just prepping it for the color grade, which will be done in Resolve most likely. So I guess I'll just straight export a QT then?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:24:25 am

[Joewi Verhoeven] "Sorry for not stating clearly, the footage I'm talking about is not graded yet, and I'm just prepping it for the color grade, which will be done in Resolve most likely. So I guess I'll just straight export a QT then?"

Not your fault man! I'm just having a hard time reading words tonight apparently.

Did you try XML as well as EDL? If both fail, then like Shane suggested you can export a ProRes 4444 file, bring that into Resolve, do a scene detect from which you can create an EDL, and then go about your grade.

You won't lose any quality if your footage originates in ProRes 4444 and you export out a self-contained QT movie in ProRes 4444.

I'm going to bed now...... :-)

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Joewi Verhoeven
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:25:56 am

Thanks a lot Ryan, and good night to you :-)

Return to posts index

ana porti
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:25:21 am

Hi,

I´m trying to import my Alexa Raw dull and opaque footage to the final cut pro X and for some awkward reason my imported footage has a different colour, as if i did already the colour correction (inside the FCX), but in my info video says i have nothing, no filter or anything in the Final Cut X. What can I do?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:56:23 am

The "normal" way this type of thing works is this:

You edit with either source or proxy footage, maintaining reel names and source TC. Once locked, you just export an EDL and hand that plus your source files over to your colorist. Colorist imports source footage and then uses EDL to parse the source footage and recompile your cut. Colorist grades using full res and bit depth of source footage, exports a consolidated QT which you can then bring back into your edit, apply titles and graphics, and master.

Now here's where this can get tricky. You're using FCP. It's notoriously bad at this kind of workflow if left alone to the software to manage everything. You have to take control of it. When importing the Alexa files, you need to make sure you give each 'card' footage a reel name if it does not already have it. This is so that the EDL at the end works. FCP only gives you a simple CMX 3600 EDL format. If you had Media Composer, you'd not worry about this since you can use the File_32 EDL format which allows the Alexa source file names to be used as reel names. Anyway, apply reel names to your footage, then edit. Keep your edit to V1 as much as possible. When you're locked, export the EDL. You won't get the error about clips not having tape names then, since you added them. Send the EDL and your source files to the colorist.

It is also likely that the colorist is using a system that can take in a FCP XML. This is preferable, because if you have more than one video track in your cut, the XML gives all the information for all tracks. I would supply the colorist with both EDL and XML - each takes a few seconds to export, so it's not an issue.

The reason I advise this workflow is that so many times I get an exported QT from someone to grade, it is not the same format as the source footage. Especially if multiple sources are used (Alexa, Canon, RED, stock footage, stock photos, etc.). If you supply all your source footage, you're guaranteeing that your colorist will have the best material to work from.

Return to posts index

Joewi Verhoeven
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:24:33 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for in depth answer on my issue, unfortunately I found out too late about naming the footage, now I already have a finished cut but can't export the EDL. I haven't yet tried XML, hopefully I won't run into the same problem. Looks like we're going to use DaVinci Resolve to color grade this.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:37:35 am

[Joewi Verhoeven] "most seem to advice export it to EDL but I ran into all kinds of issuesL"

such as?
hard to help with out more info
still Mark may have guess right, it could well be a reel# issue

[Joewi Verhoeven] "Thanks for in depth answer on my issue, unfortunately I found out too late about naming the footage, now I already have a finished cut but can't export the EDL"

yeah, well, again, what seems to be the problem? is there a specific error message you get, or what?

if the reel# IS the problem
Mark gave you a solution,
simply give the clips a reel#, and you will be able to create an EDL.

here's one way.
if you don't have a bunch of clips i the browser,
or even if you do...

copy paste your sequence into a new project.
go to Tools Menu > Create Master Clips

in the browser, open the master clips bin that will now be three,
maybe sort by reel... no point giving a reel# to a clip that already has one

in the reel column, give one clip with no reel a reel#, anything will do, REEL, or maybe NO-REEL is better.

now select all the clips with no reel#,
right click in the reel column,
and chose the new NO-REEL reel number from the small list of available reel#s that will appear
all clips will now get that as a reel number,

and an EDL should now be possible.

IF that was the problem...

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]