FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with incompatible formats in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clara Gordon
Problems with incompatible formats in FCP
on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:17:44 am

Hello everyone,

I shot something on a videocamera, not with a tape but with a card. When I downloaded it into my computer (iMac), it was an MPEG-2 Video format file, without audio. First thing I can't understand. Surprisingly (at least for me) I converted those files to a .mov (H.264) so that FCP can support them, and they had audio! It's more or less ok, there are image and audio, but FCP is running veeeery slow, and very often stops playing and reports a dropping frame message.

My question is: what should I do to edit that video without so many problems and so slowly running? I've tried to convert the files to other formats, but some of them ask for audio or video renders just after inserting the clip in the timeline, which is very inconvenient. Moreover, I'm afraid that some problem will appear when trying to render the complete film...

I'll really appreciate any kind of help. I don't know what to do.

Judy.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Problems with incompatible formats in FCP
on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:24:07 am

It's because FCP 7 and earlier do not support H.264.

Do you still have the original memory cards? Or a backup of the exact file structure from the cards (not a converted file)?

FCP wants everything to be Prores.

Return to posts index

Clara Gordon
on Apr 2, 2013 at 11:27:27 am

Thank you David!

Yes, I still have a backup of the exact file structure from the card. What do you recommend, then? Into which format should I convert the files? To Apple ProRes 422 directly?

I usually convert with MpegStreamclip, but I have to do it one by one, I can't convert a group of files at a time. Do you know some free program to do it faster?

Thank you very much!!!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 2, 2013 at 11:41:44 am

No problem, that is good. Use log and transfer from within FCP, here's a video tutorial from Shane Ross-

Tapeless Workflow with Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Clara Gordon
on Apr 2, 2013 at 12:33:32 pm

Hi David,

I've discovered I "just" have the .mpeg files from the card (not all the other ones, which I guess I'd need). I can't, then convert directly from FCP with log-transform, as it is well explained on the tutorial you linked.

However, I've tried to convert them using mpegstreamclip, and it works, the thing is that when importing the new files into FCP project, it plays well on the preview window, but it requires a video render as soon as I insert them into the timeline. My FCP is version 6, although I could upload to version 7. Would it help me? Or there's no way without the other files of the camera card?

I really appreciate your help!!!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:30:12 pm

FCP 7 has been discontinued and unavailable for nearly 2 years now, so unsure how you'd be able to "download" it legally. Not that it would help. Without the full card structure, your only options are third party converters like MPEG STREAMCLIP. This is but one reason why copying everything off of the card, in the complete card structure, is important.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Clara Gordon
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:19:51 pm

Ok, nothing then with FCP 7...

It was my first time shooting with non-tape system, and, because of the problems it's causing me, I think it'll be the last one...

Thanks anyway.

Some other idea or suggestion?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:03:59 pm

[Clara Gordon] "It was my first time shooting with non-tape system, and, because of the problems it's causing me, I think it'll be the last one..."

Tape is going away. There are VERY FEW tape cameras still being made, and on the lower end, HDV is it. So you might want to keep that in mind.

Also...just make sure to watch my tutorial and do what I mention..back up the full card and archive that. If you do that, then all should work. Well, except newer cameras won't be compatible with FCP 6, because FCP Legacy...5, 6, 7...has been discontinued, no longer updated. So it won't keep up with new camera tech. You'll have to look at alternatives, like FCX, Adobe Premiere...

But...if you get an HDV camera, it will work with FCP 6 and you will be fine for a few more years.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Clara Gordon
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:49:51 pm

Thank you Shane!

The thing is that I don't have the card (I rented the camera). But I'll keep that in mind the next time! Thank you for all the information!

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:20:58 pm

[Clara Gordon] "I usually convert with MpegStreamclip, but I have to do it one by one, I can't convert a group of files at a time."

With MPEG Streamclip you can batch convert. Just look around the menus.

Return to posts index

Clara Gordon
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:50:38 pm

I've seen the option! Thank you! It has saved me hours! (well not so much, but anyway!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]