FORUMS: list search recent posts

Documentary production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Rankin
Documentary production
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:21:31 pm

I'm currently editing a documentary which I've been filming for over a year. It will likely be distributed initially on standard DVD but I'm making it high-res 16:9 in case I need it in the future. My question is, if I want a production house to make a blu-ray version of it in high definition, how would I export it? Would it need to go to tape? Could it be done in segments on DVD? I'm guessing it will be several gigs being about 90 minutes. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Documentary production
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:38:46 pm

Well, ask the place you plan to make the BluRay for you what they want you to supply them. We don't know.

If it were me, I'd want a ProRes 422 or HQ export of the full doc. At 90 min that's 148GB or so. A small 500GB USB drive that costs $60 would work for this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06:57 pm

Depends on if you want it duplicated or REPLICATED. Might want to totot he DiscMakes website and read over their FAQ's and stuff.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 1, 2013 at 11:44:34 pm

I make my own BluRays, more or less from the FCP timeline and maybe a supplied ac3 from a mixing house.
You can also send a ProRes master, HDCam, or whatever a mastering/duplication centre prefers. Generally, Compressor does a reasonable job, picking H264 for BuRay stream, that will create the video component for an authoring application. Encore has been working quite nicely for awhile, but I still export .iso disk images, either to burn out of Toast, or to create Primera DiskPublisher jobs so I can blast out up to 20 at a go.

This approach allows the option of sending a fully authored and QA'd disk or .img as a data BluRay/DVD to a duplication facility. Not that there are a lot of places that do this kind of work, that is, not A-List feature distribution.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]