FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why do I need to render in FCP 7 timeline when downsizing HD footage from 1080 to 540

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott Patterson
Why do I need to render in FCP 7 timeline when downsizing HD footage from 1080 to 540
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:36:08 pm

Basic desired workflow is to shoot full 1080 and drop the Pro Res 422 into a sequence with a smaller frame setting of 960x540 for example (I have other footage at this 960x540 and want to begin the project at the lowest frame size of my assets.)
The clip should just scale down to 75% and you'd think I wouldn't get a red render bar, but I do. I can't seem to manipulate the sequence settings to all ow me to do this and result in just a green render bar which would be fine to work with...but I can't go this route with every clip having to be fully rendered in the timeline as I beging the edit.

Thx for any insight,

scott

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Why do I need to render in FCP 7 timeline when downsizing HD footage from 1080 to 540
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:54:54 pm

960x540 is not a standard frame size. FCP is designed to work with broadcast formats and frame sizes only...anything that doesn't conform to that is risky to edit. So if you happen to make a sequence that IS that frame size, you won't get any RT performance from anything that isn't that frame size.

The only standard format that FCP works with in RT that is 960, is 960x720...anamorphic 720p HD. And the only format that comes in that way is DVCPRO HD.

What is the codec of the footage you are working with? Where did you get it? Note that FCP really only works well with FCP codecs, like ProRes, DVCPRO HD, XDCAM...What you find in the Easy Setup list.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

scott Patterson
Re: Why do I need to render in FCP 7 timeline when downsizing HD footage from 1080 to 540
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:21:09 pm

thx for the info.
I'd be shooting AVC intra and converting to Pro Res 422. Any ideas for an easy work around?
Again, I want to take those 1080 files and be able to use with 540 assets, and then output a 960x540 for the web.

scott

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:30:32 pm

I'm asking about the 540 assets. What are those? Where did they come from? What codec are they?

And one doesn't typically edit in the frame size they expect to export to for the web...they work with the frame size of their footage, and convert later. You ARE doing this, because you said you have 540 masters. But, as I said, FCP works best with broadcast standard frame sizes, and 960x540 ain't broadcast standard. What is THAT footage...?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

scott Patterson
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:22:35 pm

this is 960x540 H.264 compressed footage that i'm turning back into Pro Res 422 so I can use within the new project.
So i'm thinking it would be best to knock down the 1080 footage so I can edit all at 540.
Surprised, that there isn't a standard workflow when integrating various sized footage, with the baseline not being a standard sequence size.
Would love to figure out a flow that works well, without a lot of timeline rendering.

thx for your help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:27:23 pm

[scott Patterson] "Surprised, that there isn't a standard workflow when integrating various sized footage, with the baseline not being a standard sequence size."

Really? FCP is designed to work with broadcast formats, as I mentioned. 960x540 isn't one...therefore FCP doesn't work with it well.

[scott Patterson] "Would love to figure out a flow that works well, without a lot of timeline rendering."

Couple of options. 1) Get the original footage that was converted to 960x540 and use that. 2) Don't use FCP as it isn't the best NLE to do this. Adobe Premiere is more suited to this, and can mix formats and frame rates better.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

scott Patterson
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:18:42 pm

chalk up another reason to switch to Premier.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:00:07 pm

"So i'm thinking it would be best to knock down the 1080 footage so I can edit all at 540."

yes, well you'll still be doing a lot of rendering.
any time you ad a dissolve, or do a simple motion effect, or some CC.

that frame size DOES NOT fall within the parameters of FCP's RT engine.

one way of doing what you want (edit that footage with absolutely no scaling, and still get RT playback) is to work in a 190x1080 timeline,
remove any scaling on the 540 clips, and apply scaling to the 1080 clips to reduce them to the appropriate size.
before you export, reduce your sequence frame size,
or better: export, and crop in compressor as you make your H264

it would be simplified by creating motion favourites and assigning them to keyboard shortcuts.

nick

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:17:04 am

[scott Patterson] "The clip should just scale down to 75% and you'd think I wouldn't get a red render bar, but I do. "
The color of the bar is related only to your system RT performance/settings, but whatever the color, the clip needs to be rendered.

[scott Patterson] "chalk up another reason to switch to Premier."
PP will do the same.
Any footage where you apply any transformation (rescaling, cropping, speed changes, filters..) will be rendered whatever the application you use.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]