a few questions....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Gotti
a few questions....
on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:38:47 pm

Hello,

Just quick simple questions:

1) Is there a shortcut to drop audio from the viewer into the timeline? There is F9/F10/F11 for video but this doesn't seem to work with audio...

2) When copying a clip from the timeline, and then pasting it on another part of the timeline, is there a way of choosing what track it goes on when you paste it?

3) This question is a bit different... I was shadowing an editor once, who masterfully used 'in' and 'out' points to edit a promo... I didn't get a chance to ask how this could help an edit... Does anyone here know how using this can help with an edit? It looked really cool and he was really fast with it..

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: a few questions....
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:32:23 pm

[Oscar Gotti] "1) Is there a shortcut to drop audio from the viewer into the timeline? There is F9/F10/F11 for video but this doesn't seem to work with audio..."

It does if you lock your video tracks.

2) When copying a clip from the timeline, and then pasting it on another part of the timeline, is there a way of choosing what track it goes on when you paste it?

Patch to the Video track you want.

[Oscar Gotti] "3) This question is a bit different... I was shadowing an editor once, who masterfully used 'in' and 'out' points to edit a promo... I didn't get a chance to ask how this could help an edit... Does anyone here know how using this can help with an edit? It looked really cool and he was really fast with it.."

It is very easy to edit to a vocal or audio soundtrack by using in/out points for your video clips.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:19:04 pm

Thanks for your response,

In regards to (2), I made a mistake.. I actually meant to ask how you would copy and paste a clip from one sequence to another sequence, choosing which track you would like it to go on.

In regards to (3), could you elaborate? How would one use in and out points to make an edit easier on the timeline?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 31, 2013 at 6:10:38 pm

The manual will help you. Search 3 point editing.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 31, 2013 at 6:34:17 pm

2) Turn off the autoselect buttons on the video tracks until you get to the one you want to paste it onto. Those are the little rectangles next to the V1, V2 on the timeline.

3) Not sure how to really explain this...it's very basic editing. 3-point editing is editing 101...it's how things are done. I'm actually having trouble picturing how you edit WITHOUT doing this.

You load your clip into the viewer...play or scrub until you see the first frame of video you want, press I to mark IN. Play or scrub until you get to the last frame you want and press O for OUT. Then in the sequence (or you do this first), you find where you want the clip to go, and mark I for IN. Then press F10 to OVERLAY or OVERWRITE...or if you want to shove things down, basically put this in between clips, press F9 to INSERT EDIT. Or click on the RED or YELLOW arrows in the CANVAS. You can also mark I and O in the timeline and I on your source.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 31, 2013 at 7:55:37 pm

thee are al very basic questions
you need to read the manual, or do a tutorial

[Oscar Gotti] "1) Is there a shortcut to drop audio from the viewer into the timeline? There is F9/F10/F11 for video but this doesn't seem to work with audio..."

F9 F10 etc edit anything in the viewer into the timeline.
when they go, and what goes where is determined by TARGETING.
that;s done using the buttons with the track numbers

locking can work, but will NOT work with insert edits

[Oscar Gotti] "2) When copying a clip from the timeline, and then pasting it on another part of the timeline, is there a way of choosing what track it goes on when you paste it? "

Auto Select buttons.
little dark grey button on left of timeline.
i sometimes move a clip to the "Paste" track before i copy it (use option+ up / down arrows to bump the clip up/down tracks)

[Oscar Gotti] "3) This question is a bit different... I was shadowing an editor once, who masterfully used 'in' and 'out' points to edit a promo... I didn't get a chance to ask how this could help an edit... Does anyone here know how using this can help with an edit? It looked really cool and he was really fast with it.."

i suspect a lot of people here use in/out point's all day every day.
i would not know how to work without them.

this is an over-simplification:
in & out points in the viewer define the part of the clip you want to use.
in & out points in the timeline define the part of the timeline you want to delete (or copy for that matter)

but then there is 3 point editing....
look it up in the manual

you realty need to spend time with the manual or a tutorial of some sort.
it'll totally expand your mind about what FCP can do.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Mar 31, 2013 at 10:38:54 pm

Besides 3-point editing In and Out points serve many roles. By setting In and Out you can measure exactly the duration of any part of your edit. If In is set you can always go to it by hitting Shift–I. To delete unwanted frames set In and Out and hit Shift Delete. If you're pasting a long string of shots from one part of timeline to another set In at the point you paste — you'll be able to Shift–I instantly instead of scrubbing back.

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:10:17 pm

I would like to say thank you to everyone for your answers, they were very helpful.

I am well aware of 3 point editing though, what I was asking is quite different, let me explain more clearly.

The editor I was shadowing was editing a sports promo over a soundtrack. It looked like he was using the in and out points in an unorthodox way to help his timings or cut points, but I am unsure... He would not go in to the viewer first as you would with 3 point editing.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a similar technique?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:23:57 pm

A.
a cut is not falling against the audio just how you would like.

watching the edit, mark in where you want the cut to be, on the fly
select the edit, go to the in, E for extend

B.
a hit point within a clip is not falling against the audio just how you would like.

as you watch the edit though, mark an in on the video hit point, & and out on the audio hit point (or out on V, in on A)
note the offset (duration field), ripple or slide the clip the appropriate amount.

i wish there was a way for FCP to access that duration and ripple or move what is selected by that same number.
i've had that functionality on some old, old sony video controllers, it was good.

C.
ask the editor you shadowed

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]