FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 Export Bug

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Street
Final Cut Pro 7 Export Bug
on Mar 31, 2013 at 8:01:12 am

Hi all,

I've been using Final Cut Pro 7 for years and have only just recently come across this bug and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I set my in and out points in my timeline. Then I go File>Export>QuickTime Movie...

Then I change the Settings from 'Current Settings' to a different frame rate, (this happens with any codec), and the final QuickTime movie file will have different in and out points from somewhere completely different in the timeline.

Please feel free to try this yourself. Pick any movie, set the in and out points, then export and change the settings to any codec (with a different frame rate). You may find that the final result will have different in out points. If the frame rate is the same then it will export properly, keeping the in out points you've set.

Please let me know if this happens to you and possibly why.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 Export Bug
on Mar 31, 2013 at 10:14:07 am

That makes perfect sense.
The IN/OUT point are TC values and the TC has a time-base.
Changing the export time-base you create a different TC and screw the references for the IN/OUT points.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 31, 2013 at 10:29:52 am

That's a REALLY bad way to change the frame rate. Don't do that. Export Self Contained...don't recompress, use the Sequence settings. Use Compressor to change the frame rate.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edwin Street
on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:54:30 pm

Thanks, I normally do use Compressor for this but I was curious as to why it changed the IN/OUT points.

Can you go into detail why Compressor should be used rather than this way if you're exporting the entire sequence?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 31, 2013 at 3:34:16 pm

Time-base managing is one of the areas where FC has never been strong.
If your sequence is 23,98fps and you change the time-base on exporting to 29,98, how the new frames will be interpolated?
Will they be just duplicated or blended?
In FC you have no control about the process. You have no options on the interpolation.
Compressor has a module for time-base conversion and beside the options for interpolation, you can make sure that the exported movie has the same duration than the original.
In FC you can not control even the duration.
rafael

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 31, 2013 at 9:08:15 pm

Part of the problem might be because, AFAIK, FCP keeps track of time by counting frames and not by utilizing TC. When you change the framerate like that you change the frame count so I'm not surprised that FCP loses the I/O points.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]