FORUMS: list search recent posts

29.97 fps to 24 fps for festival screening

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hamilton
29.97 fps to 24 fps for festival screening
on Mar 30, 2013 at 2:07:53 pm

Howdy from Texas!

I have a 90 minuted documentary shot at 29.97 that will be screening at a festival soon. They are asking for a 24 fps version in order to convert it to DCP for the screening. I have questions for you beautiful people.

1) Is it necessary to convert to 24 for DCP to work? (Because I really enjoy my smooth 29.97)

2) What is absolute best way for an FCP guy to convert a heavily edited 90 minutes from 29.97 to 24?

Thanks in advance guys. The beer is on me if we ever meet.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: 29.97 fps to 24 fps for festival screening
on Mar 30, 2013 at 9:01:39 pm

You have a bit of a problem.

First off, there is no way that your source media happens to be 23.98, but you edited on a 29.97 timeline? That would be a slight improvement, but you probably still wouldn't like the solution were that the case.

If your source footage and edit sequence are 29.97, then there really aren't that many alternatives.
Option A. Find someone with a good hardware Frame Rate Conversion solution, like a Teranex or equivalent.

Option B. Do a software frame rate conversion. If you choose "better" in something like Compressor, and convert from 29.997, the results would be okay for HD broadcast, but may still be questionable for a DCP theatre release. Expect the conversion (for a feature-length project) to take about 3 or 4 days. The difference between "Better" and "best" is not that large, but the render time is x10. So allow a month. (Do it in 4-5 reels, because your Mac won't run that long on a single task without crashing.)

Option C. Ask if you can deliver a "SMPTE" DCP, which can tolerate 24, 25, and 30 fps framerates -- but that is a pretty new approach and is not yet universally accepted.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]