FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media manager questions... Finessing a backup

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Media manager questions... Finessing a backup
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:35:29 pm

Hey guys,

My habits have been sloppy, ive never gotten rid of bad footage or ever even thought about saving memory... Ive just accumulated 4tb hard drives like an idiot, and now its too much to reference.

I have about 130 short length videos, 3 or 4 minutes that need to be "preserved" and "consolidated" to a brand new fresh drive usin media manager. Each of these videos is currently its own project file.

The only way that i know media manager to work is by exporting the used section of the media referenced in a timeline. Then you can delete the capture scratch files, and save memory by eliminated bad takes or whatever crap is NOT in your timeline.

Does this mean that i have to copy all 130 videos to a single timeline in order to manage the media? If i did that, would the initial sequence that i copied from browser reference the new media, or would i have to "reconnect media" 130 times? Is there any way that i can highlight sequences in browser WITHOUT pulling them into the timeline and use media manager on that selection? If i can do that, that might solve my issue.

Please let me know what you guys think, and thank you for your time!

Travis

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Media manager questions... Finessing a backup
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:07:56 pm

You do not have to media manage from the timeline. You can select your sequence from your browser and select media manager to delete the unused media on your hard drive (not memory, that's RAM).

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:52:12 am

as Steve points out you can Media Manage from the Browser, OR the Timeline

you can MM each final sequence one by one,
or you can copy / paste each into a new project, the Media Manage the entire project.

if your 130 short pieces are part of a whole, this might be alright.
if they are not, this would just be a continuation of you being sloppy :)

if your pieces are self contained movies, then you should MM each one separately, as the truncated media will go into a specific folder for each project.

also , MM can have certain issues, like:
- not being able to trim media that does not have a Reel#,
- and being a bit flakey with speed ramps (a solution is to edit the same clip into a blank track above itself with NO speed effects applied)
you will find it easier to trouble shoot as you do each one

and it would be a good idea to check each one after its been media managed

the recommended Media Manager settings are
COPY media
DELETE UNUSED
DO Add Handles

YES, you want a new project.

there would be no reconnecting

nick

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:18:55 pm

Guys thank you both very much for helping me out with this.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:57:56 am

Hey guys I have an add-on question.

I have now gone through every single file that I've created.... these are all short videos on MMA instruction. I have them broken down into three project files, close to about 200 sequences.

I am nervous about the "delete unused media" aspect of media manager. Obviously I can't copy the media exactly as is... without it cutting this down, I'm not saving any space. However, some clips that I've used might be cut up into 30 different project files. If I media manage some sequences, but end up leaving some out, will media manager end up deleting portions of clips that are needed in other projects?

Basically, I need ONLY the portions of the clips that I have now organized to be copied, but I don't want to have anything deleted. I am turning 3 drives into 1... but I want the 3 drives to be sitting around as backups. I simply want to be able to use only one drive and know that if the shit really hits the fan, I have myself covered.

Thank you guys for your time and expertise.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:26:54 am

hey, travis.

the trick is that COPY does actually make a COPY, trimming the media from that copy. (not from the original)
if you used USE EXISTING than you would be trimming the original files, and that would leave you high and dry if the same file was used in another project.

only if you had ALL sequences in one project, and media managed them all at once, could you avoid this
but that has it;s own problems,
and really, COPY is much safer as you can check the results and fix any errors (if there are any)

ideally, you would use your 3 drives as a source, and have a 4th drive as a new location.
unless you have a fair amount of spare room on one of the three drives

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]