FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripple trim using arrow keys

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flo de Haan
Ripple trim using arrow keys
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:22:33 pm

FCP7-question:

When I select the end of an edit and hold down ALT and use the arrow-keys I can trim this edit. Works fine!

But now I want to do the same thing while rippling the edit.
Thus: When I move the edit one frame left using the arrow keys, all following footage automatically moves with it, just like using the Ripple tool (R).

Is this possible in FCP7
I tried a few like ALT+CMD or ALT+CTRL, but couldn't find it yet.

(ofcourse I just use the ripple tool, but I'm looking for an easier way when finetuning in frames, without having to zoom in.)

Thank in advance.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Ripple trim using arrow keys
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:54:41 pm

R, then hold shift to select one side or other. Then the < > keys. It's the roll tool isn't it?

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Mar 29, 2013 at 9:25:12 pm

JKL closer to the cut you're going to ripple. Hit V to highlight it, tap U a couple of times to go through tail-head-both, Square Brackets to trim. Hold Shift to trim 5 frames at a time. Pay attention to Autoselect and Linked selection.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 30, 2013 at 7:02:23 am

as MIchael says, you chose which side of the selected edit you ripple / roll using the U key.
you can select the edit manually, or with the V key

i often find it quicker to summon up the ripple tool (rr) and then select the side of the edit i want to trim.

as you timeline grows in complexity, you will be wanting to select clips over multiple tracks,
and sometimes you will want to be trimming different sides of different edits (asymmetrical trimming)
you need ripple tol for that.

nick

Return to posts index

Flo de Haan
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:53:43 pm

Thanks Guys!

@Bret. that wasn't what I asked. That was tjust the regular R tool.

@Michael. That's what I needed. Really great.

@Nick. Indeed. I know the pros and cons. I was looking for this arrow-keys based trimming like Michael descibed. I already use the other way round.

:0)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]