FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transparenty-blurry smudge on my footage, can I remove it in post or am I completely screwed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristyn Woods
Transparenty-blurry smudge on my footage, can I remove it in post or am I completely screwed?
on Mar 29, 2013 at 2:29:10 am

Ok. So, I'm panicking about this. I shot a girlfriend's wedding video and didn't realize that there was a smudge on the lens. To make things worse, they were standing in such an awkward position because the sun shines right into the lens highlighting the smudges.

Is there ANY way I can fix this? I have PF clean but haven't found a way to fix it because I'm pretty new to all of this. It's moving footage. Is there some filter I can use or maybe an after affects solution?

Return to posts index

Kristyn Woods
Re: Transparenty-blurry smudge on my footage, can I remove it in post or am I completely screwed?
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:16:45 am

These are stills from the video...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transparenty-blurry smudge on my footage, can I remove it in post or am I completely screwed?
on Mar 29, 2013 at 9:32:32 am

Screwed. Because it moves, and it blocks different subjects all the time. You'd have to paint it out...frame by frame...with the same color/shading that it's in front of.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 29, 2013 at 2:07:36 pm

Shane is correct that you can't make this an "invisible" repair. Other than rotoscope-painting each frame, the only other thing I can suggest is that the blotch would look less obvious if it wasn't always bright white, so using a mask and power window in a program like Apple Color or Da Vinci, you could set up an effect to colorize the white area to match the color of the pixels around it, so instead of a flare it just looks like a transparent blur. This should be relatively easy to set up since this spot never changes its position in the frame.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:00:23 pm

you could add a lens flare filter on top of the smudge and tell everbody it's a creative effect.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:23:38 pm

Also, how do you MISS a smudge that big? Did this camera not have a viewfinder or monitor?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:10:52 pm

Here is very quick and dirty example of what color-correcting the splat area using color sampled from the closest pixels could do:

I used Paul Crisp's 8-point matte generator to create a matte shaped like the splat; I feathered and softened the edge, applied it to a duplicate layer then used the 3-wy color corrector on it. Using Apple Color would do an even better job, I'm sure.

Even so, while you can still tells something's amiss, it is no longer as blatant and eye-drawing as it was. You can use a similar technique to blur out time code overlays and logos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]