FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MOV files won't transfer into FCP7.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Clarke
.MOV files won't transfer into FCP7.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:11:31 pm

So I recorded some presentations using quicktime's built in screen recorder which saves in H.264 .MOV files. When trying to import these files into Final Cut i get an error message saying:

FILE ERROR: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown,

This message comes up on all of them. Is there anyway of getting around this and getting my .mov files into final cut?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: .MOV files won't transfer into FCP7.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:26:06 pm

So you need to transcode the files into ProRes 422, y'know? And brush that hair out of your eye: it's distracting.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Clarke
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:32:24 pm

Will it make a difference? It's already compressed as an H.264 file and I figured final cut can read H.264 so why would transcoding it into a ProRes 422 fix the problem? I only ask because the video is about an hour long so transcoding it is going to take awhile and I want to make sure it would work before i go ahead and let it run.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:38:07 pm

Nope: FCP does not play nicely with H.264. For best results, use the ProRes 422 codec. QT will do it, Compressor will do it, MPEG Streamclip will do it... you have a lot of options here.

But you need to transcode. FCP ain't your standard Mac app. You need to abide by its quirks.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Clarke
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:41:33 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the info I figured i was going to have to transcode it I was just kind of hoping there was another way around it. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:58:47 pm

The other way is to either use FCX, that will "optimize" the media for you (meaning convert to ProRes automatically)...or use Adobe Premiere that edits H.264 files natively.

FCP does not.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]