"Dropped Frames during Playback"; usual fixes not fixing
on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:02:06 pm

Specs:

MX02: Firmware: 26.1, Software: 1.9.10022

FCP: 7.0.3

MacBook Pro
2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

I recently purchased a piece of gear that required Snow Leopard to access settings and updates so I loaded OS X 10.6.3 onto an external drive as I did not want to destabilize my editing system which has been rock-steady stable since I have owned it the past number of years. However, I may have done just that as I am experiencing the following new issue in FCP when editing and outputting to monitor via MX02:

"one or more frames were dropped during playback"

Note: I am not using 10.6.3 for editing, I am using OS 10.5.8

My normal workflow is creating sequences as Pro Res 422 1920x1080 59.94 48khz. I log and transfer HDV camera clips and edit the 1440x1080 clips in combination with 1920x1080 clips and other content that is 1920x1080. My video output settings are Matrox 1920x1080 59.94 10 bit. For the past number of years this has all worked without incident. Now I get the dropped frames warning when attempting to play back to a monitor.

I am not running the system on Snow Leopard and don't have that drive connected to the computer. I have tried trashing FCP preferences, made sure Safe RT is selected, Playback Video-Dynamic, Playback Frame Rate:Full but the problem still happens.

Incidentally, the playback problem is on un-rendered clips. When I render the sequence it does play. Also, if I create a 1440x1080 sequence it does not drop frames. I would like to be able to continue editing in 1920x1080 sequences and have done so without incident up to this point. I'm thinking I am overlooking a setting or a tic'ed box somewhere but cannot find it. I don't know if this is a Matrox issue or a FCP issue or an OS issue but I figured I would try posting this question in relevant forums. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: "Dropped Frames during Playback"; usual fixes not fixing
on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:51:17 pm

Have you re-set the capture and video/audio render path to a fast enough drive (for sure not your root drive)? Dropped frames are usually a symptom of poor bitrate throughput.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Derek Fremd
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:14:31 pm

Joseph, I have the scratch disk set to a 4TB G-Raid external drive via Firewire 800 of which 1.6TB is available. It's the same drive I was using before without incident. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:37:56 am

You probably have been working with dropped frames in the past but you haven't noticed.
Uncheck "Warn next time on dropped frames" and relax.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]