FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with my new tapeless JVC HM150u

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
harvey stein
Editing with my new tapeless JVC HM150u
on Mar 27, 2013 at 2:21:04 pm

I recently bought my first tapeless camera, the JVC HM150u. I will shoot in HD most of the time.

I usually edit on FCP7.

Should I create new FCP sequences with setting of HDV 1080i50 or XDCAM EX 1080i50? Are there any advantages of creating a sequence in one or the other? (I notice that my clips are 1920 x 1080, compressed in XDCAM EX 1080i50)

And, if I want to bring clips from my new camera into older sequences, with setting of HDV 1080i50, is any resolution lost when I render those new clips?

Thanks.

email: harvey33@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing with my new tapeless JVC HM150u
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:04:16 pm

[harvey stein] "Should I create new FCP sequences with setting of HDV 1080i50 or XDCAM EX 1080i50?"

Depends...what did you shoot? When you add a clip to a new sequence, FCP will set the settings for you. So what they will be depends on what you shot. DO NOT use settings that do not match your footage, meaning DO NOT use XDCAM footage in an HDV timeline, or vise versa. They are different forms of GOP and that can be bad. BUT, you can use ProRes sequence settings...that helps graphics look better and often speeds up rendering.

[harvey stein] "Are there any advantages of creating a sequence in one or the other? (I notice that my clips are 1920 x 1080, compressed in XDCAM EX 1080i50)"

Well, if you shoot XDCAM, your footage will be 1920x1080....whereas HDV is 1440x1080 anamorphic.

[harvey stein] "And, if I want to bring clips from my new camera into older sequences, with setting of HDV 1080i50, is any resolution lost when I render those new clips?"

If the footage isn't HDV 1080i50...yes, there will be.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Leo McMichael
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:51:03 am

Hi, I am a little behind the 8 ball but I thought you could help me answer a question. I need to update both my machine (Mac) and camcorder. But I figure I should update the camcorder first so I can start at least shooting 16x9 SD. Also, I am not sure the new FCP is very friendly with firewire based cameras and DV. So I figure it would be a better thing to record with 2 cards, one in SD and one in HD so I can keep HD files for the near future of updating my Mac AND still be able to shoot/edit projects now.

That leads me to my question. My question is this:

I am still using version 5 of FCPro (Studio 2). Will that be able to handle the SD files created by this JVC camcorder? I believe it should, but if not, then I'll need to rethink my method. I can certainly keep shooting with my DV camcorder until I get the new Mac.

I know I am behind the 8 ball, but I really haven't liked too many HD camcorder options so I kept waiting and waiting. If I keep waiting, I will put myself out of business! lol

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2013 at 4:50:29 pm

[Leo McMichael] "I am still using version 5 of FCPro (Studio 2). Will that be able to handle the SD files created by this JVC camcorder?"

Possibly. What format does it shoot in SD? I haven't dealt with SD in 6+ years...other than to upconvert tape to HD for some shows. So I am out of that loop. But it should just fine. Guessing it shoots DV as SD...but that would only be a guess.

And keep in mind this saying: All roads lead to post. Everything you shoot, record audio for...all that...ends up in post. So Post needs to be ready to receive it. If you get new cameras before you get the post equipment that can handle it...that means you shot a lot of footage you can't really do anything with, other than playback the raw footage onto a TV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Leo McMichael
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:55:41 pm

Thanks! I totally get the "post" comment. I have to buy both, so it really doesn't matter which order I buy them, but if I buy the camcorder first, I can start shooting in widescreen SD & HD simultaneously. That, like I eluded to, would be the stop gap until I get the new Mac with Intel chips and the latest OS & FCPX.

I liked this JVC in particular because it will shoot a nice quality HD (not that ACHD compressed crap). SD would only be a temporary thing at best for me. I can't imagine a new job I'd shoot SD because I'd rather have HD and convert the final product to something other than but keeping the HD files for future consideration. So it would only be temporary until I got my new Mac (would only be a month or two) and FCPX as my Power Mac G5 won't run the latest software. I can't see spending the $$$ on FCP7 although, if I hated FCPX (and I doubt I'll hate it at this point-they have addressed most all the issues that mattered to me anyway) I would spring for FCP7 as it still would handle what this JVC camcorder is shooting.

I also believe you can shoot simultaneously in HD and SD (or QT or variable other options) on the second memory card. Sorta nice to have although from everything I have heard about these newer style cameras, the memory cards just don't screw up! Certainly not like tapes can. And probably not unless you remove them while they are still writing.

I just was not happy with what was being offered. They were all really expensive and I am a small independent who wanted to buy a camera to last a while. At this point, I think I'd rather buy a good enough camcorder (and this is certainly good enough) and upgrade every 5 years instead of 10 or 13! lol I just spent 3 times as much for my other camera and as good as it still looks, it's not HD and well, that's a buzz word for some as much as it's an actual quality standard in reality.

I like the Lumix series and Black Magic but for what I shoot, I think a camcorder still offers what I need. I may get one or both the others over time, but not for my primary shooting camera as currently what I shoot doesn't warrant that kind of camera.

Thanks again for chiming in on my question.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]