FORUMS: list search recent posts

So much rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Furie
So much rendering
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:33:16 pm

Hello,
I am in a situation where I received footage from someone off of their hard drive and have no idea what camera was used to make the video. I imported the video into a DV NTSC 48khz sequence. I saw that once I dropped my first clip into the timeline that I pressed to change the sequence to whatever the clip was. Then I started to realize I have to wait for a very long render to even view the clip once it is on the timeline.

What I know:
-The video is 1920x1080 and has an H.264 codec (which I thought FCP doesn't like). I am not sure what sequence preset I should change the sequence to in order to stop the long renders and make sure the sequence is accurate to the video so exporting is not a pain. Also, I know you can log and transfer footage to a different codec but if you are just given footage how can I switch the codec and can I do that in FCP?

Thanks,
SF

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: So much rendering
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:44:28 pm

[Sarah Furie] "I imported the video into a DV NTSC 48khz sequence. I saw that once I dropped my first clip into the timeline that I pressed to change the sequence to whatever the clip was. Then I started to realize I have to wait for a very long render to even view the clip once it is on the timeline."

*BUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!*

Once you see that you add a clip to the timeline and you have to render, that's a BIG RED FLAG. Do not render, do not continue. Stop and find out what the codec of the source footage is. Which you did.

[Sarah Furie] "-The video is 1920x1080 and has an H.264 codec (which I thought FCP doesn't like)."

It doesn't!!! Sure, at first it will seem like it will work, but then errors galore can happen.

[Sarah Furie] "-The video is 1920x1080 and has an H.264 codec (which I thought FCP doesn't like)."

Use Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert all the files to ProRes 422, THEN import them into FCP.

What version of FCP are you running?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sarah Furie
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:49:04 pm

So there is no way to fix it in FCP? I just have to delete all the edits I did? That stinks but I know it is my fault for not doing it right in the first place. I am using FCP 7. Are there certain settings for MPEG Streamclip or Compressor? I have both but haven't used them recently. You can do them in batches, correct?
Thanks,
SF

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2013 at 6:01:48 pm

Well, first off, you need to convert all the footage to ProRes. You can use a preset in Compressor....just drag and drop. Set the target for another drive or another folder. And then when that is done, remove the added name that is put on all the new clips. Then take the old media, the originals, offline. And relink to these new ones.

Then...make a new sequence....cut one of the new clips into it so that the sequence settings are made that match.

Then, copy and paste the clips in the old timeline to the new one.

THEN...you will have to highlight all the clips and REMOVE ATTRIBUTES: Basic Motion and Distort...so that they all go back to normal after being in the wrong sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sarah Furie
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:55:06 pm

You have no idea how much you have just helped me. Thank you soooo much for getting back to me on a timely manner so that I could fix this problem.
-SF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]