FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better FCP 7 SmoothCam plug in

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrico Lappano
Better FCP 7 SmoothCam plug in
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:02:12 pm

Can someone recommend a better smoothcam plug-in solution than the one that is included with FCP 7? Unless I'm not using it properly, (primarily with 7D clips and sometimes HDV), it leaves noticeable "jello" jitter and cropping. I was told that Premier has a good plug in for this, as well as FCP X.

I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Better FCP 7 SmoothCam plug in
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:53:26 pm

Yup: both Premiere Pro and After Effects have the Warp Stabilizer, with a Rolling Shutter feature. Very handy.

If you plan to use Warp Stabilizer in either application, I STRONGLY recommend transcoding DSLR footage to ProRes 422 or HQ before using it. The Warp Stabilizer feature looks backward & forward in time, and H.264 really slows the process down.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:12:40 pm

Thanks Dave. Can I use that, or is there a plug-in available that's as effective as the "Warp Stabilizer, with a Rolling Shutter feature" available for FCP 7, which I am editing on? My footage has been transcoded to ProRes 422.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:55:45 pm

Lock and Load from CoreMelt

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:37:13 pm

Importing the shot into Apple Motion (in the FCP suite) as a project and adding the behavior "Stabilize" under Motion Tracking. Smooths things out nicely if you don't mind the little export and import.

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Mar 26, 2013 at 10:16:01 pm

Between the three options for FCP 7 for best smoothcam is it safe to say first that the FCP 7 smoothcam plug-in is not even an option (at least from my experience, but I haven't compared it with anything) ?

But between the other two, ultimately, I'm after the "smoothest" option. Will $100 for Lock and Load X bring best results or extra time importing into Apple Motion?

I appreciate all your feedback, cause the effect can make a dramatic difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]