FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to get a *realistic* and powerful flash effect in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Adkins
how to get a *realistic* and powerful flash effect in FCP 7?
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:02:13 am

Hi,

In some footage I am editing, a stage performance has some performers in nearly total darkness, with occasional flashes. The problem is that although the flashes were supposed to be very powerful and have a fairly long decay, instead they turned out very mild, and too brief.

So I need to "amp them up"... a lot. I have read many posts on using a white dip-to-color transition, and I've messed a lot with key-framing of the color correction levels, but neither of these work well. Especially when spread over a duration of a half- or full second, they don't look like a flash, but instead like a white or brightness dissolve.

Are there any other suggestions of effects (I use FCP 7)? [I see someone suggesting the "bloom" effect, which seems a bit closer. maybe I need to get the settings right...)

Thanks,

edwin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: how to get a *realistic* and powerful flash effect in FCP 7?
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:20:33 am

How about keying in something like this?

http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/8961887/paparazzi-camera-flashbulbs-flas...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2013 at 2:04:44 pm

If the subject didn't contain *realistic*, the following wouldn't be a concern:

Adding flashes very well might be sufficient, but it all depends on the composition of the shot.

A camera flash creates areas of highlight and shadow that propagate from the position of the flash bulb. They're an inherent part of a *realistic* flash effect.

With no screen shot as a reference, and with your insistence on realism, the worst case must be considered: not only will you have to add flashes, but you'll have to add those highlights and shadows that will come from odd angles.

This isn't a job for FCP. It's better suited to Motion or After Effects, and achieving a realistic look will be neither fun nor fast.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Mar 26, 2013 at 2:42:49 pm

Check out the plugins at http://www.filmimpact.net, some are free.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:38:37 pm

The free "Too Much Too Soon" FCP 7 plug-in set has a "Flashframe" transition which is nice if set to a relatively short duration - around 8 frames or so.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 1:05:09 pm

and depending upon where you intend to show the finished piece, you might come up against specific rules against using flashing images (they have been shown as a possible trigger for epileptic seizures).

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Edwin Adkins
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:35:42 pm

A big thanks to all of you for helping out with suggestions.

I've done a draft of the footage with the flashes, and mostly used the "bloom" effect with lots of key framing, so I can get a few frames of silhouette before filling the frame with (mostly) white, then ramping down. It looks okay so far, but I also appreciate the warning about the flash impact on the viewer. They're not repetitive enough, I think, to cause neurological issues that some strobe effects do, but it's good to be careful.

Edwin

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 31, 2013 at 9:31:53 pm

I read this article "Faking lighting for video with Motion 5" recently. Even though you're using FCP7, I thought the techniques might be of interest to you.

Found it on the FCPX Master List at fcpx.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]