FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about XML Export for Grading From Someone New To The Process

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Questions about XML Export for Grading From Someone New To The Process
on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:13:52 pm

Hi,

I have a project edited in FCP 7 that needs grading. The colourist hasn't been chosen yet, so we don't know what system will be used. I'm assuming the colourist will want an XML file in order to grade the original ProRes 422 files used to shoot the film. I'm new to all this, so have a question about XML used in grading systems... there are several repositions and resizing of shots that were done in FCP. Will all of these translate via XML to the grading system. I guess in general, I'd like to know what translates universally from FCP via XML and what doesn't. Furthermore, if the colourist only wants to work with an EDL, I'm assuming all resizes and reframings will have to be rendered out and edited into the sequence before EDL export. Also, will FCP titles and credit scrolls come across or do those need to be rendered out as movies beforehand? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Scott

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Questions about XML Export for Grading From Someone New To The Process
on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:52:11 pm

If the colorist is using Resolve, all they need is a self-contained ProRes file. Resolve can do a scene detection on the file.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:09:12 am

Thanks for your response. If you were making one ProRes file for grading, would it be best to remove all resizes and repositions and have those recreated in Resolve to reduce the amount of re-rendering done of the footage? If the resizes were rendered in FCP (on export of the single file for the grade) and then brought into Resolve and graded, those shots would be subjected to an unnecessary number of render passes, would they not? Also, the film currently has a 2.35 crop on it. The crop should be removed and recreated in the grading system, correct?

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:55:44 am

Personally I would take an XML and original media for da Vinci Resolve. Yes da Vinci can scene detect but a feature of da Vinci is that you can apply a grade to one shot and it then automatically applies it to any further instances of that shot. Very handy for interviews. It also means that handles for each shot can also be graded if there is a need to do minor tweaks later. Often when a trailer is done or a reversion, those handles will save heaps of time. I usually do four second handles and having just done a trailer for a feature today, those handles saved my day.

It is advisable to bake in varied speed and take out stills like jpegs and generated text elements. If you have lots of keyframed stills or other graphics that you want to grade, then bake a quicktime (current settings) of each shot.

Text is re-applied post grade. Reframes can either be baked in or once the graded files & XML from da Vinci are reloaded, the motion settings can be copy>paste attributes>motion re-applied.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:58:20 am

Should add that XML vers 5 is best for da Vinci and also if you end up going into Premiere for Speedgrade. Of course if it is Color, then the FCP project file can send to Color but speed bakes need to be done and text/ stills removed

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Mar 25, 2013 at 11:30:57 am

Thanks so much for the great advice, Michael!

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]