FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log And Transfer Crash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela Zumbrum
Log And Transfer Crash
on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:58:34 pm

Already logged an entire project with no problems. One clip (the most important clip, of course) will NOT complete. FCP freezes and won't respond! I tried to restart, tried changing scratch disk to multiple different drives, and it's still crashing...but only with this one LAST clip!!! Could the file be corrupt? I need to get this clip in somehow ASAP! I have a deadline, as this project is a wedding.

I also tried to use clipwrap and convert the .MTS to Prores. The clip is about 16 minutes and it only did the first 3 minutes??? Strange part is that I can watch the clip all the way through in my L&T window...it just wont finish?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!! THanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Log And Transfer Crash
on Mar 24, 2013 at 4:14:07 am

1) Any weird symbols in your file path such as #%$& ?

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 24, 2013 at 12:43:02 pm

No, not that I am aware of. Some new information since my initial post:

1. I tried to move the .MTS file to a new drive, as I am beginning to think that the drive is corrupt. And, my copy failed with an error code. Tried to copy and move my entire project and that failed too!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2013 at 12:49:01 pm

What error code?

Are your drives formatted MacOS extended?

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 24, 2013 at 5:17:29 pm

I'm not sure about the drive. However, I have been working with this drive for 2+ years doing exactly what I am doing now?!?! No problems. And, It's so strange to me that the entire wedding (100 clips) transfered fine - except just this one?!? I have plenty of space too!

Within FCP, I am not getting an error code - just timing out with the rainbow wheel. The error code that I get when trying to move the .MTS file to a new drive is " The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 00003.MTS could not be read or written Error Code -36 "

THank you for trying to help. Could the file be messed up in the middle somehow? Like I mentioned, when using clipwrap, I am getting about the first 3 minutes of the 16 minute clip?!?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2013 at 9:27:12 pm

Open dusk utility, find your drive an click on it.

What does it say for "format" in the lower left corner?

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:21:29 am

I used Disk utility for All of my drives :

I have 2 internal - and 3 external = all of them say Mac OS EXTENDED (journaled)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2013 at 1:24:04 am

Perfect. We can rule out an incorrectly formatted drive.

Did you personally transfer the footage over to a hard drive or was the footage transferred elsewhere?

Do you have a copy of it?

I'd like to see if you have a copy of the footage on another drive and log and transfer the footage to a third drive fixes the problem.

So, your broken footage, lets say, is on drive A. Your backup is on B.

Take the footage on B and log and transfer to C.

Does it work?

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:01:43 pm

Thank you. I was thinking that might be my only option. Unfortunately, I only edit the footage. I will call the videographer and see if he can transfer the footage again?! Who knows if he kept it on the card. The way we have always exchanged is through this drive. So hopefully, he does a backup of his own besides just this drive. This could take me a few days, but I am going to try it. Please don't go away! I'll update as soon as I know something.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:12:39 pm

How big is that particular card you are trying to transfer?

Can you move the raw data to another drive?

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:04:14 pm

Im unsure of the card itself. The videographer does the transfer from the card to the drive...then passes the drive to me. We've always done this with no issues.

Like I was mentioning, I have been trying to move the footage from Drive A to B - and even Drive A to drive C. That's where I am getting the error about not being able to read or write the data? Im hoping we can take footage from card again to a new drive. Praying he still has footage on card. Fingers crossed. Something is really wrong here - and i am STUPMED!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:07:50 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "Something is really wrong here - and i am STUPMED!"

I did some searching on that error code and it is possible that the drive might be going bad. Make sure you have backups of everything on that drive. If you have everything backed up proceed to this step:

In Disk Utility, you should select that drive and hit "Verify Disk" in the lower right hand corner and see if Disk Utility can pick up any issues. If it does, try repairing it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:37:49 pm

THank you so much! I will try and move everything off of this drive. Here's the bad part - I can't move this wedding it won't allow me to! I'll make sure the card still has the wedding and go from there. I think the drive is going bad too! UGH! Thank you so much for searching this for me. I will keep you posted.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:38:58 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "Here's the bad part - I can't move this wedding it won't allow me to!"

You might try moving a few files at a time and see if that works better.

Let me know if disk utility says anything.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:00:35 pm

Im so curious to check the drive now! Will verifying the disk lose data? Can I jut check before repairing anything? I don't want to check it until I can confirm the card still has the wedding? I can edit everything except that one clip....dont want to risk it all. Let me know I f I can check the drive before backing up?!? Thanks

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:28:03 pm

Well, I verified the disk and it says, "it appears to be ok" Im lost :(

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:36:50 pm

Yep that's OK.

Disk Utility does not test every possible failure, only certain software failures.

Before we move on, we need to wait and see if you have a backup of the footage.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:43:10 pm

It is confirmed that the videographer still has the footage on her hard drive. I think it's internal. We live a ways apart - but I was thinking of having her mail me the .MTS file (on a disc or flashdrive) that I am missing and trying to convert it with clipwrap. This way I can continue working while Im waiting for that to come. Do you think this is a waste of time? Or should we just start all over with a new drive? Can't thank you enough!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:00:37 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "e live a ways apart - but I was thinking of having her mail me the .MTS file (on a disc or flashdrive) that I am missing and trying to convert it with clipwrap. This way I can continue working while Im waiting for that to come. Do you think this is a waste of time? Or should we just start all over with a new drive? Can't thank you enough!"

We haven't definitively determined if that hard drive is failing or not, but it is best to make sure that it is backed up in case it is failing.

I would see if this footage backup is good.

If it is good, I'd suspect your hard drive is going bad. If the backup footage is bad, then the footage itself is bad.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:16:56 pm

Thank you. I will start with my idea of just sending the one clip that I need. If it fails, we will still have the footage on 2 drives. I will keep you posted. Hoping that something happened during the transfer. Brides can get pretty nasty these days! Wish me luck. You have been more than helpful. Have a good week.

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
on Mar 25, 2013 at 8:58:36 pm

It does sound like the file or drive is corrupt. When a copy won't work through Finder (error 36), try using Terminal to copy those files onto another drive.
You can follow these instructions if you're not familiar with the process: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57467900-263/using-the-os-x-terminal-i...

If you want to try copying that one file off the drive first, you can drag just the filename onto Terminal instead of a folder.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:31:46 am

Thank you so much for this information! I am going to try it tonight! Stay tuned :) :) :)

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:20:00 pm

So, I tried using the Terminal. I did as you said and only tried to copy the one file which is a .MTS file. here is what I get after entering my copy command??
cp: illegal option -- a
usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-pvX] source_file target_file
cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-pvX] source_file ... target_directory

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:19:57 pm

Please be very very careful with the Terminal.

I would wait until you have a backup in place before you start diving in to the terminal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:17:49 pm

Ok. You're right. No more terminal until I have back up in my hand. I read the link that was sent to me and it seemed pretty complicated. Tried to follow it perfectly and it didn't do much. UGH! I'm still trying other routes too. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Apr 25, 2013 at 5:39:41 pm

Jeremy,

Hi there. So, I finally gave up on file that I needed. It was a dud! The bride will have to live with what we have. However, I am now having a new issue with this edit. This project is going to be the end of me :(

I have 3 sequences and only 2 of them will export. The ceremony sequence, which was kind of difficult to edit, will NOT export. I am doing a basic export > Quicktime Movie > Current Settings. Nothing fancy at all. I have tried multipile times and have gotten these two messages. " I/O error" and " General Error"

I am so frustrated......I wonder if it's still this drive that might be failing?? Any tricks on getting this sequence out of FCP and onto a DVD. I don't care about losing quality anymore...I just need to be DONE.

Thank you so much for any help.

Angela

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2013 at 5:44:10 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "I wonder if it's still this drive that might be failing??"

Yes, it very well could be.

General Error in FCP7 usually goes away with a preference trash. You can use Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion to easily trash them if you'd like (it's free).

Do you have another hard drive you could export to? Do you have enough space on the current hard drive for the export?

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:19:50 pm

Hi Thanks for the quick response!

I have tried exporting it to multiple drives. No luck. I even copied the sequence, started a new FCP project, pasted it and tried exporting it again....no luck. There is plenty of space on all the drive that I am trying to export too. It usually give the message "not enough free space" when that happens. :(

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:22:44 pm

I would delete your render files (Tools > Render Manager), quit fcp and trash your preferences and try again.

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:30:24 pm

Ok. I will try those things. I am working on a new wedding now too. This one is giving me NO trouble. If I trash prefrences, will it effect all of the projects that I am working on?? I don't want to make anything worse. I assume that deleting render files, will only make me re-render. IS this risky?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:17:16 pm

Both of these steps are very common troubleshooting activities.

They aren't risky.

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Apr 25, 2013 at 8:21:11 pm

Thanks. Well, I deleted all render files. I trashed the preferences and still no luck. However, the sequence looks more "normal" and I got a little further in the process before it crashed again with the I/O error message. Almost made it! Any other ideas? Im so close!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2013 at 10:52:41 pm

I really think that hard drive is not doing well.

Try exporting in smaller chunks on to another drive, then combine those chunks in to the final movie.

How long is the sequence?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]