FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony AVCHD Ingestion problems!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Lancaster
Sony AVCHD Ingestion problems!
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:29:23 am

Hey all,

I'm shooting a teaching series on two Sony A57 DSLRS. I'm aware of there recording limit of 29 minutes and we have been able to work around that. However when I go to ingest the footage in log and transfer (FCP) it says it cannot identify the root folder or the mts files.

Okay, No big deal......

So I download the ONLY recommended MTS file converter, Pavtube HD Video Converter. ($30)
But apparently either this program or my camera is splitting up the 29 minute straight recording into 3 separate chunks! Around 10 minutes each. The worst part being when I link the converted PRORES files in my FCP timeline, There is a video freeze and they don't transition smoothly!

All I want is to have the 29 minute PRORES file from my Sony camcorders that I captured for the series.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this was an important shoot and the footage is very valuable.

Thanks,

Ryan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Sony AVCHD Ingestion problems!
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:27:45 am

[Ryan Lancaster] "So I download the ONLY recommended MTS file converter, Pavtube HD Video Converter."
I really never saw professionals using that application.
The two applications recommended (at least around this forum) has been 5DtoRGB and ClipWrap.

[Ryan Lancaster] "But apparently either this program or my camera is splitting up the 29 minute straight recording into 3 separate chunks! Around 10 minutes each."
Media formatted as FAT-32 (memory cards) has a file size limit of 4GBs.
Things get chopped when recorded on the memory.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ryan Lancaster
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:04:26 am

Thanks! Is there a solution you see for me though? The Sony A57 captures on SD cards only...

Ryan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:25:55 am

[Ryan Lancaster] "The Sony A57 captures on SD cards only..."
And those are FAT-32 formatted.

Is the footage 1080p50/60?
Then FCP's L&T won't take it.

You should try ClipWrap. there is a trial version.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:43:34 pm

[Ryan Lancaster] "
So I download the ONLY recommended MTS file converter, Pavtube HD Video Converter."

I don't know where you asked, because no one on any of the forums I peruse recommend that software. I and others ONLY recommend ClipWrap2.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Lancaster
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:47:35 pm

Thanks Shane,

I found the software through googling "Sony A57 Import into FCP"

I'll give clipwrap a try. Also, Rafael, I don't understand if SD cards are restricted to a certain size limit on files how am I able to import 52 minute clips with my sony fs700 or panasonic straight into FCP through log and transfer? Is it just because I'm using the root folder and FCP is identifying that multiple MTS files are one single clip? Either way I'm getting long 45+ minute clips into FCP from SD cards....that are definitely larger than 2-4 GB

Ryan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:10:21 pm

Yes...FCP via Log and Transfer will join "spanned" files...meaning multiple files linked to a single recording.

Sony and Apple never wrote a L&T plugin for that camera...so you are limited to other means, like ClipWrap2...unfortunately it doesn't span the footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ryan Lancaster
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:20:41 pm

Thanks Shane,

Last question then..

Will I be able to link the separated files together in my FCP timeline after clipwrap conversion and have them transition seamlessly?

That is where my other program fails...

Ryan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:29:32 pm

Good question...one I can't answer for sure, as I haven't used footage from that camera. BUT...I have had to resort to ClipWrap because someone didn't keep the full card structure when shooitng with a Panasonic camera, and when I put all the clips back to back on the timeline, it was seamless. So in theory...it should work.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ryan Lancaster
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:36:29 pm

I purchased clipwrap and converted the files. The video transitions seamlessly! However there is a dropout of audio during the last several frames of each clip...

Always something, but I feel like I'm getting closer..

Ryan

Return to posts index

Colin McFadden
on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:00:30 pm

If you want to drop us a line at support@divergentmedia.com, we can dig in (if you can also provide a sample mts) - it's possible for there to be slightly inconsistent durations of audio and video tracks when moving things to QT, but it'd be odd for it to be the same amount for every file.

-Colin (divergent media support)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]