FORUMS: list search recent posts

25fps in a 23.98 sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie deRooy
25fps in a 23.98 sequence
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:06:56 pm

Hey Folks,

I am editing a show in a 23.98 sequence in FCP7. For one of the segments (shot at a different time than the rest) on a 2 camera shoot, one camera was set properly to shoot 24 BUT the 2nd camera was set to record at 25FPS.

Luckily they noted before the second weekend shoot, but I have a few episodes where I need to deal with this.

How best do I work with this issue? Is there a transcoding procedure I can use? Is it better to just bring the footage into the 23.98 sequence and work with it?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 25fps in a 23.98 sequence
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:15:58 pm

If you don't need exact sync...meaning you don't need to multiclip it, you can use Cinema Tools to "conform" the 25fps to 24fps. It will slow it down slightly, but not noticeably.

Hmmmm...Nattress.com has a STANDARDS CONVERTER plugin to convert 25 to 30 and 30 to 25...but I don't see 25 to 24.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jamie deRooy
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:19:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. I can bring it into the sequence and it the sync seems closer (incrementally going off of course) at 25 than when I try going through Cinema tools. If this is working, is there another reason I shouldn't just work with it in the sequence?

Our final delivery for this is is going to be a convert to 29.97 if that info helps.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:45:38 pm

You really should match the frame rates. You may need to use frame rate conversion software like Twixtor (expensive) or you may opt to do it with hardware (very expensive), but solving this problem NOW will prevent much larger problems later.

It seems like a trivial thing now, but even a slight frame rate mismatch is a VERY big potential problem... and I bet you will never make this kind of mistake again.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jamie deRooy
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:53:49 pm

Thanks for the note on Twixtor. I did a test exporting through Cinema Tools and an export through After Effects with Twixtor and found that Twixtor worked great, retaining length where Cinema Tools didn't (this could have been a matter of me not doing it exactly proper)

I'm going to toss these ideas around the office and see if we end up getting Twixtor to remedy this.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2013 at 7:40:21 pm

Please do toss it around the office. You DO NOT want to fall into the trap of ignoring frame rate mismatches. It leads to many woes later.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]