FORUMS: list search recent posts

How is this effect created.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Blum
How is this effect created.
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:16:55 pm

Does anybody out here know how these effects were created. I was asked to do something similar for a show I'm working on. I can't imagine they each box was keyframed individually. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Here's a link. The effect is at 40 seconds and again at 59 seconds.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/open-house/OHNAT-5200-C-DL-Lewis-Giannoulia...

thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How is this effect created.
on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:05:07 pm

Time to learn a new piece of software! This is an effect best done in either Motion or After Effects.

I suppose you could TRY to do it in FCP, but it would be a nightmare. I wouldn't even know where to begin because it would be such a cumbersome task.

Use the right tool for the job......

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Blum
on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48:49 am

Thanks. I actually do know After Effects. I've been taking motion design classes at Art Center. After talking to someone else about it, I think I can re-create the look by parenting all the different clips together and doing a simple horizontal camera slide, using mattes to reveal the individual clips.

I guess the lazy editor in me was hoping for some sort of template or trick.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43:03 pm

[Kevin Blum] "The effect is at 40 seconds and again at 59 seconds."

The same matte is used for both, but you will notice that in the first instance, the content fill is different for each panel of the final composite, while the matte/panels become filled with a single source image in the second and flashes over in segue to the next scene.

It probably could be done in FCP in a couple of steps, and a lot of layers, if you insisted on staying in the editor, but sometimes, as Dave suggests, its better to get into a compositor.

I see the effect as a classic A/B/travelling matte, but in this case, the matte reveals either a single background plate, or a background source that is itself a composite, using the same values for motion and geometry as the travelling matte itself. Matching those values would be the tricky part.
National Geographic specifies a treatment something like this for some of its' series, and they did send out a Media Composer template -- but I was a Final Cut user at that point, so I re-did the effect in SHAKE -- kind of a Rubik's cube of crop/motion/size adjustments. The show was "Hitler's Stealth Fighter" if you are slightly interested and can find the broadcast version. The show title is dropped in most streaming versions.

Good luck.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]