FORUMS: list search recent posts

Letter boxed into a corner? What settings to get anamorphic 16:9 into DVD studio for correct output?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Letter boxed into a corner? What settings to get anamorphic 16:9 into DVD studio for correct output?
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:03:48 pm

All my FCP7 timeline clips are DVCPro25 anamorphic. Now I'm building a DVD and they still look squashed into 4:3 aspect when I play the burned DVD.

I could sure use some fast tips on where to change settings so that the DVD plays a wide screen letterboxed picture by default. At what stage do I do this: on the timeline with sequence settings, in the render to a self-contained file, or in DVDSP?

If transcoding my files is necessary, I need the "recipe" for all the settings.

My turn to beg for help; I know you guys will come through soon.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Letter boxed into a corner? What settings to get anamorphic 16:9 into DVD studio for correct output?
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:08:42 pm

There's a setting in DVDSP that selects 16x9 or 4x3. After that, the DVD player knows what to do when it plays back.

I forget precisely where it is, but you can bet it's one of the first things you'd do when setting up a project.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Letter boxed into a corner? What settings to get anamorphic 16:9 into DVD studio for correct output?
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:22:30 pm

You also have to set up your DVD player correctly. I'll assume he's done that. But if not there should be a setting in your set top DVD player that you tell it what to do with widescreen material and you also have to tell it what kind of TV you have. Unless you have a newer tv and bluray player with hdmi that can talk to each other, there's no way for it to know.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:27:36 pm

It is looking from a quick test burn that Dave's suggestion was all I needed. I'll know for sure in half an hour, and if Dave was right, he just saved me a day or two of re-encoding files, so, have a beer on me, Dave. :-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:33:14 pm

Hope it was just that one simple and sometimes-overlooked setting!

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:41:46 pm

I'm an infrequent user of DVDSP and I forgot how contextual the interface can be: unless you click on the asset's picon, the choice of aspect ratio never even appears. I tend to work mostly in the Graphical View. Once I clicked on the asset, instead of the gray project field behind it, boom, there it was.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:54:07 pm

Results: Great Success! Thanks, Dave!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:07:32 pm

Woo Hoo!

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:22:55 pm

Shouldn't have to burn a disc though. Did it not display the problem behavior in the testing preview inside DVDSP?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:29:45 pm

It does if you also set the simulator to DISPLAY it :-) I do the test burns anyhow; it seems the only way to confirm the audio levels and etc. are as I intended, and testing the navigation is easier for me that way as well.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:22:02 am

You just tell the simulator if you have a 4:3 screen or 16:9 screen (just like a set top dvd player). In either case it will display your footage as letterboxed or full 16:9 respectively. It won't show your 16:9 as squeezed unless you haven't set the widescreen tag. So it's instantly obvious if it's not set right in the simulator.

BTW Adobe Encore is pretty nice. I've only done 1 DVD with it, but how nice it was to actually simulate the DVD out to my real screen via BlackMagic! Or maybe I had Matrox back then. Can't remember.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]