FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XA10 and FCP 7 questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olivia Wyatt
Canon XA10 and FCP 7 questions
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:46:50 am

Hello,

I just got the Canon XA10 and am new to digital work flow as well. I am able to easily transcode to 422 using log and Transfer in FCP 7, however, I would like to know some specific things.

1- how can I import the audio so that it is not mixed down to stereo? I would like to use the channels individually and was recording via the xlr inputs with two different microphones.

2- I was shooting in PF24, after I transcode and drag to the timeline, it automatically adjusts the sequence settings to 29.97. So how do I import it so that it is the original 24?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if I am asking silly questions. Again new to this workflow.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon XA10 and FCP 7 questions
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:38:11 am

1. In Log and Transfer...in the IMPORT SETTINGS button just below the viewer...separate the tracks from Stereo to dual mono.

2. There are two types of 24p recording. 24p native that records at 23.98, and 24p Progressive that shoots 24p at 60i (29.97). Sounds like you recorded 24p Progressive and not 24p Native. That's an in camera setting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

olivia Wyatt
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:05:43 pm

Ok thank you for the info about the 24 p progressive vs. native. You are correct that I had that set in camera. Would native be the way to go if I am blending this footage with other cameras? What are your thoughts?

Also when I go to import settings my only options are video and audio (audio is mixed down to stereo) there is no other audio option. I have worked with log and transfer before and I had the option to unclick this link next to audio that made it not stereo, but that was with MXF files. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:30:33 pm

If Final Cut is now seeing the files as 29.97, then the 24P has probably been frame rate converted with 2:3 field cadence and is now 2997i. There are tools for stepping back into 24 fps, but it will likely be time consuming, as most "reverse telecine" operations are fairly intensive and if you don't know the ABCD progression it is pretty likely you will do it wrong. I see it wrong on network broadcasts all the time, so my sense is that its becoming a lost art.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 25, 2017 at 12:54:05 am

I have this exact question. I have some footage shot at PF24. Is there any way to get it exported from the card at 23.97 or do i have to export at 29.97 and then convert? I don't mind if the process is laborious.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 25, 2017 at 8:51:59 pm

You have to import, and then convert. 24PF wasn't meant to shoot 23.98 directly. Not even sure you can reverse it to 23.98, but worth a shot with Cinema Tools. Many cameras at that time shot the 24p LOOK at 29.97.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 25, 2017 at 8:59:51 pm

I'll give it a try. If I do that, will it look like it was originally shot in 24fps?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2017 at 2:40:26 am

I can't say...I didn't have the pleasure of doing this.

OH, you will have to convert to ProRes first. GOP formats like HDV can't be reverse telecined

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 26, 2017 at 7:12:27 pm

Cool. Any advice for this? I plan on following this guide (https://documentation.apple.com/en/cinematools/usermanual/index.html#chapter=8%26section=4%26tasks=true) but there might be bells and whistles I should know about.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2017 at 8:49:47 pm

Reverse telecine works when the telecine was done correctly in the first place. You remove the extra frames added in a very specific manner. If that footage WASN'T telecined in that manner, or shot with that pattern, then it won't work. That's an issue with many cameras that shoot 24p at 29.97, they didn't intend for it to be removed. Because at the time, many deliverables were still 29.97, but people liked the look of 23.98, so they made cameras that gave that look, but still met the deliverable.

As I said, you can try, but I don't know what specific pattern that camera shot, so it's up to you

Good luck

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]