FORUMS: list search recent posts

macbook air running final cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robin chin
macbook air running final cut Pro 7
on Mar 16, 2013 at 2:03:20 am

I want to buy a macbook air and see if I can run FCP7 on it. Saw a video by Dave Helmey running premiere with a Sonnet Chassis with a Red Rocket through thunderbolt connector, although I know nothing about this. Would like to know more about this kind of set up.

Also wanted to connect a larger external monitor but seems not possible since it needs the thunderbolt connector too, macbook air only has 1 thunderbolt connector. Any other suggestions to connect another monitor and kind of monitor good for editing?

Specs for Macbook air: 13"
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7,
8GB 1600MHzDDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage.

Other scenario if I really have to use FCP7 or FCP 10 (also After Effects and Premiere but not at the same time):
Macbook pro 15"
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage
Thoughts on this knowing you can't upgrade after you buy it.

Thanks for your help and thoughts ahead of time.
Robin

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: macbook air running final cut Pro 7
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:38:38 am

I believe the MacBook Air uses Intel Integrated Graphics instead of a traditional graphics card (Nvidia or AMD).

Not sure FCP will like that...Premiere definitely won't care for itMac, as the Mercury Engine requires specific graphics cards to work.

MacBook Pro would be a better choice.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:39:23 am

Get the Pro. It has more connections, a bigger screen, and more horsepower. An Air is not made for video editing...especially if you're talking about running PPro, AE, or FCP X which all rely heavily on the graphics card. Air's have integrated graphics card, meaning they aren't nearly as powerful as what's on a Pro.

Do yourself a favor and get the Pro. You'll be far happier in the long run.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:40:24 am

Spend the same cash (or less) for a better, faster 27" iMac?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:42:45 am

[Bret Williams] "Spend the same cash (or less) for a better, faster 27" iMac?"

Agreed....unless he/she needs portability.

Portability + power = MacBook Pro
Price + power = iMac

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:19:17 am

Definitely not the Air, that's for sure. We recently got a laptop for my general use and a little on location card dumping and maybe some light viewing / cutting of shots in X. Considering we weren't going to actually do any editing on it, we got the cheapest 13" MacBook Pro. Get 'em while they're still around. They have all the connections. USB 3, thunderbolt, AND FW800. PLUS a DVD burner. And you can open them up and add your own RAM from cheaper vendors. FW800 and the burner is already gone on the air and retina. I tihink you can upgrade your own ram on the retina, but not the air. But it might be on both.

Return to posts index

robin chin
on Mar 16, 2013 at 9:11:10 am

thank you everyone so far on this post. Very helpful to hear your advice.

I want to have the macbook air as a light traveling computer mostly but wanted to see if it would accommodate any smaller, lighter FCP work if necessary as an option at home. Was excited at thinking it could work but so far seems no one has been using it as a reliable editing computer.

I'm interested in getting more opinions and hearing other's experience on the subject over the weekend.

If I wanted to get the newest macbook pro to use for editing (and After effects) would it be wise to get the most upgrade possible for the long run or could I do well to save a little money? Thinking of this configuration:
Macbook Pro 15"
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (could get 2.4GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM (could get 8GB)
512GB Flash Storage (could get 256GB)
Has: Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

Thanks for your thoughts on all this.
Robin

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:29:46 pm

The more power you can afford the better your experience will be in any software.

[robin chin] "2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (could get 2.4GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM (could get 8GB)
512GB Flash Storage (could get 256GB)
Has: Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching "

If it were me....I'd upgrade the CPU to the i7 processor.
I would upgrade the RAM myself after I received the machine. Third party RAM is significantly cheaper than Apple RAM with no real difference. RAM is easy to install (plenty of videos online if you're worried). You can purchase form places like crucial.com or macsales.com
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR...
The hard drive is a toss up. You won't (or shouldn't be) storing your video media there so that drive is really just to hold the OS, applications, your iTunes collection, etc. You should have a dedicated media drive (either a Thunderbolt drive or firewire) for editing.
The Nvidia graphics card is a huge must if you want to work in PPro or AE. Adobe has built it's core playback engine around Nvidia graphics cards (while it does work with other cards from ATI, it's not nearly as fast). The better Nvidia card you can get the happier the Adobe suite will be.

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:28:26 pm

For what's it worth, I installed FCP 6.0.6 on a 2011 Macbook Air i5 1.7 GHz, and was able to cut quite well using the 27" TBD. My media was stored on a FW drive routed through the display. My timeline was mulit-layered, HDV and ProRes. Honestly, it was an improvement over my aging G5 PowerMac! But I ran into problems with Motion. I could only use Motion when it was the only application running, and even then performance was dodgy. But... I was cash-strapped and this was my solution.

I've since upgraded to a rMBP i7 2.6 GHz and it is awesome! If you have the money, definitely get a more powerful machine. No question. The time you'll save on rendering and compressing footage alone will make you grateful that you did. If you want power with portability, the retina is calling your name!

Chris

Return to posts index

robin chin
on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:57:56 am

Appreciate everyone's great advice. You made it much clearer for me to get the Macbook Pro.

Thanks very much!
Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]