FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and transfer VS. clipwrap and import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RayRay Garrow
Log and transfer VS. clipwrap and import
on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:38:56 am

My cameras use ACVHD formats (sony and canon) and I either have the option of using the log and transfer function or purchasing a conversion software like clipwrap or wondershare. Recently I used log and transfer and 15GB of video took up 200GB of space once the log and transfer was complete. That's ridiculous and frankly not gonna be a viable option everytime I have to log and transfer. I do have an external 2TB harddrive but again what the hell is the 200GB being used for???? I think I will just have to use a conversion software to convert the MTS files (ACVHD) to MOV files(quicktime) and import them into FCP. Is this the right path? Am I log and transferring wrongly? Is there a way to log and transfer to minimize the space reqs? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and transfer VS. clipwrap and import
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:14:31 am

[RayRay Garrow] "Recently I used log and transfer and 15GB of video took up 200GB of space once the log and transfer was complete. That's ridiculous and frankly not gonna be a viable option everytime I have to log and transfer."

Then don't use FCP. Buy Adobe CS6 and use that. That application is designed to work with footage natively...FCP is not. FCP requires that you convert the footage to ProRes...even if you use ClipWrap.

Either that or you can use the offline/online workflow in FCP...meaning convert the footage (with Log and transfer...it will only work if you use log and tranfer) to a lower data rate codec, like ProRes Proxy. Then edit...media manage to recapture only the footage used in the cut at a higher ProRes version. I have that workflow here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

[RayRay Garrow] " I do have an external 2TB harddrive but again what the hell is the 200GB being used for????"

Converting the extremely difficult and processor intensive AVCHD codec into something more easily manageable. Premiere only deals with this stuff natively by throwing resources at it. You need gobs of RAM and a high end graphics card that enables the Mercury Engine so it can deal with decoding this difficult to work with format. More room is taken up because ProRes is an individual frame format...a frame is a frame. The original AVCHD format is GOP...groups of pictures. 3 real frames per second, then the rest of the image is made up of a "group of pictures" that intelligently guess as to what the other frames will be. So it's a difficult format. Very low data rate...but complex.

[RayRay Garrow] " think I will just have to use a conversion software to convert the MTS files (ACVHD) to MOV files(quicktime) and import them into FCP. Is this the right path?"

No. Then you will have that difficult format...instead of in an .MTS format...in a QT format. It's still difficult to work with, FCP won't have sequence settings to match so you will have to render...and it will be like cutting through thick molasses in January.

[RayRay Garrow] " Am I log and transferring wrongly?"

No...that's the right way. You can choose a different, lighter codec to transcode to. ProRes LT. Look in the L&T preferences for you list of choices.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Jul 30, 2016 at 9:47:22 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for all your great info here. Making a documentary for theatrical release, editing in FCP7. I have .MTS files (of archival footage that I did not commission myself.) They are stand alone .MTS files without their accompanying file structure. What should I do? Should I just use Clipwrap2 and start editing with FCP7? I was able to do a test and it would play in a FCP sequence but now able to import it via Log and Transfer.

You write:" FCP requires that you convert the footage to ProRes...even if you use ClipWrap." Can you explain why this is important?

Best,
Bill

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 31, 2016 at 12:21:28 am

[Jim O'Brien] "They are stand alone .MTS files without their accompanying file structure. What should I do? Should I just use Clipwrap2 and start editing with FCP7?"

If you have Clipwrap2, then yes, I suggest that...if you want to edit with FCP 7. ClipWrap2 was discontinued recently, you can't get it. BUT, they have EditReady to take it's place, and its more fully featured, but requires OS 10.9. FYI.

Even if you use Premiere Pro...I suggest converting to ProRes. Native cutting of AVCHD is a pain, unless you have a SPENDY, high end machine.

[Jim O'Brien] "You write:" FCP requires that you convert the footage to ProRes...even if you use ClipWrap." Can you explain why this is important?"

FCP cannot edit .mts files natively. Unsure how you were able to do that. But FCP 7 (legacy) requires that media be converted to ProRes, or other FCP codec. Because if not, issues can arise, like sync issues, constant rendering.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Sep 5, 2016 at 12:54:28 pm

Thank you very much Shane!

Hopefully one last question for you on this:
Once "clipwrapped" what is the best way to convert to ProRes? Will all converters (providing it is set to Pro Res 422) output the same quality? What conversion software do you use?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2016 at 4:38:30 am

Clipwrap converts it to ProRes. That's the point. Don't use the RE-WRAP option...choose ProRes.

ClipWrap IS THE conversion tool...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:21:18 am

Okay I was using Rewrap and then converting it to ProRes in Compressor. I am now using ClipWrap to go directly to ProRes. But I noticed something.

Here is a frame from a video using the Rewrap (Source Format) setting:

Here is the same frame from the video outputting to "Apple ProRes 422" in ClipWrap:

The same interlacing happens if I Optimize for "General Playback" or "FCP7." SIDE NOTE: What does this this "Optimize For" do anyway? Interlacing happens if I do the aforementioned Rewrap (Source Format) to ProRes via Compressor as well.

So we do this process because it plays so much butter in FCP7 and to it will match with the majority of the rest of my footage BUT
1. Am I loosing quality?
2. Will this be able to be fixed in post?
3. Will this be noticeable on a theatrical screen?

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 7, 2016 at 12:46:13 am

Did you shoot interlaced? or Progressive? When you converted to ProRes, did you convert to a progressive format, or interlaced one?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]