FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips with different properties

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shane andries
Clips with different properties
on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:45:59 pm

Do I need to do anything when editing multiple clips with different clip properties? When you drag a clip into the timeline, it saves the project properties to that clip. Will this affect the other clips I add to the project if they have different properties. I'm looking to edit a actor demo reel and all of my media from different projects are in different formats and resolutions. Any advice?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Clips with different properties
on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:50:28 pm

[shane andries] "Do I need to do anything when editing multiple clips with different clip properties?"

Well, if you use FCP 7, it's advisable to convert all of the media to the same codec and frame size and frame rate BEFORE you edit...if possible. You can mix a few codecs...like ProRes (Start with ProRes, use ProRes sequence settings) and then you can add XDCAM, HDV, DVCPRO HD to the sequence and playback fine. Render will need to happen at the end.

DO NOT use MP4/.MTS/H.264/AVI or other non-FCP editing codecs in FCP without converting. You MUST Convert those formats. If the codec isn't something you find in the FCP Easy Setups...you need to convert it.

[shane andries] "When you drag a clip into the timeline, it saves the project properties to that clip. Will this affect the other clips I add to the project if they have different properties."

Yes, you will have to render the other types. But, if you have a ProRes sequence, and the other types are other FCP codecs, you can edit without rendering and just edit at the end.

Now, are you talking about having a YouTube rip video, then a DVD, then some MP4, a VHS....and other such things that Actors might have? If so...convert them ALL to a common format. Do not attempt to edit them natively.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]