FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I convert my film's aspect ratio from 4X3 to 16X9 using FCP 6.0.6 to then export a self-contained QT file?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donia Mili
Can I convert my film's aspect ratio from 4X3 to 16X9 using FCP 6.0.6 to then export a self-contained QT file?
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:46:19 am

Hello people,

It's been a while since I have been on this site or reflected on FCP or filmmaking for that matter...

A distributor is interested in my last documentary-film but in the decoding process to deliver my film to various VoD platforms, they encountered a rather large technical issue with the film. They're not sure exactly what is wrong with the file they have, as it could be an interlacing issue or simply that the quality is too low, but they mentioned that the 16X9 format is their preferred choice, and my film's aspect ratio is 4X3. Apparently 16X9 is the format that VoD platforms, Itunes and others demand, and I intend to research this topic but in the meantime, I would like to know if I can change the 4X3 aspect ratio of my film to 16X9 using FCP 6.0.6?

I do have archival footage edited in the film, including Super 8 shots. If this conversion were possible, I would then export a self-contained QT using current settings in QT, and then transfer that very file electronically to the distributor.

I thank you in advance for your time and energy.

Donia

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Can I convert my film's aspect ratio from 4X3 to 16X9 using FCP 6.0.6 to then export a self-contained QT file?
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:01:07 am

[Donia Mili] " I would like to know if I can change the 4X3 aspect ratio of my film to 16X9 using FCP 6.0.6? "
No problem. Is just about to cropping the top and the bottom of the picture.

You do not give details on your movie, but I understand that is SD 4x3.
Just drop your movie on a sequence with the sam settings but Anamorphic.
rafael

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
Re: Can I convert my film's aspect ratio from 4X3 to 16X9 using FCP 6.0.6 to then export a self-contained QT file?
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:22:52 am

Thanks for your quick response Rafael, I really appreciate it.

It is indeed SD 4X3, and the audio is 5.1 surround sound but I don't think the latter makes a difference or does it?

I understand that I need to open a new sequence, drop the whole film, keep the same settings but choose anamorphic widescreen; yet, I would love to know if this format change will affect the archival footage or the Super 8 shots?

Take care,

Donia

Donia

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:18:35 am

Yes without knowing all the details I'd say you probably can't do it. Your movie was either shot 4x3 or 16x9. It's like trying to turn a square into a rectangle, it will be stretched out. You can put your 4x3 movie into a 16x9 frame with black bars on the side, that is one option but obviously looks weird. If your movie was shot SD anamorphic then you'll probably be okay but it doesn't sound like it was.

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:48:47 am

Thanks Spencer. I keep on leaving relevant info, sorry about that.

I shot with a Panasonic DVX 100 camera which is 4:3 only as you know.

I'll try to change the format to 16:9 just to experiment with it, but from it does not sound like I will be able to deliver a quality 16:9 version of my film.

Donia

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:10:51 am

If it's about the 16*9 look, I'd do following: If you still have the project with all single shots/clips on the TL use that one, otherwise make a new project, drop the whole movie into a new TL (which is still a 4*3 Aspect Ration), and then slice it up again into the individual shots.
Now, drop on each clip a MATTE Video Filter, set it to the Aspect Ration you want and move the clip in between the Black Bars with the "Offset" function, till the framing is to your liking.

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:00:03 pm

Sasha's method is best as you can individually re-frame each shot
but you don't have to use the widescreen mask filter,

another approach would be to drop your finished film into a new timeline: same settings for everything but set to anamorphic.
oh, yes, and go into the sequence settings, Video Processing, and turn motion scaling to BEST

it wil most likely appear with black bars left & right (Pillar-boxing)

you need to BLOW UP your footage to 133.33%

just like Sasha's method you can control each shot, adjusting the framing up or down, key framing it if needed,
even leaving some shots stretched wide if they work best that way.
(i have even dome some simple composting to make 4/6 shots work as 16/9)

main difference is you now have a 16/9 anamorphic version of your film,
not a 4/3 letter-boxed one.

which you chose depends on your delivery requirements.

oh, and back to the widescreen mask, it is MUCH easier to add a mask as an overlay on a track above your video , and reframe it underneath the mask

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:07:33 pm

If the source material is SD quality, blowing it up very much will start to make it look pixellated. Re-framing the cropped images under a mask is the shortcut method over re-editing from scratch, and may solve some compositional problems, but will also affect the overall aesthetic, if the thing really was shot with a 4:3 in mind.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:32:32 pm

there's a good chance it's going to be screened as 16/9, so it's got to be blown up somewhere.

nick

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:37:43 pm

Thanks for your help Nick.

It is becoming clear I need to write to the distributor and ask them for their delivery specs as you, Dave and Rafael reflected.

More to come,

Donia

Donia

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:11:17 pm

Thanks for your input Sascha.

It is a time-consuming suggestion, but the one that may come closest to a 16:9 look for the VoD platforms, and maybe Itunes, but I doubt it will be good enough quality for them. After all, the project was shot in 4:3.

Anyway, I'm willing to give this a shot, worse comes to worst it will be a learning experience for me...you never know bonding with my TL in the late hours of the night, has proven to be fertile ground for FCP miracles!

Be well,

Donia

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:21:12 pm

[Donia Mili] "...They're not sure exactly what is wrong with the file they have, as it could be an interlacing issue or simply that the quality is too low, but they mentioned that the 16X9 format is their preferred choice, and my film's aspect ratio is 4X3...

...I shot with a Panasonic DVX 100 camera which is 4:3..."

I'm surprised you received no delivery specifications from the distributor. They would answer a lot of questions and remove a lot of speculation on everyone's part.

People have told you how to get to 16x9, but I'm more concerned about the frame rate and the interlaced/progressive issue, which hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread and which would be part of any good set of delivery specs.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:33:37 pm

Sacha's suggestion is OK if you have been asked for LETTER BOXED.
If you have been asked for plain 16x9 (Anamorphic), that's not the way.

That's for broadcasting, but If your movie will be played in computers, you will also need to make it Squared Pixels.
You should ask the proper specs of what they want.
rafael

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:14:32 pm

Firstly, let me thank you all for your time investment and your professional advice... I truly appreciate the solidarity.

I just wrote to Nick Meyers that following Dave's, Rafael's and his advice, I need to write to the distributor today and go over their delivery specs. As for Itunes'specs, they are the most demanding, and the ones I will have to leave out unless a new solution comes up.

In the meantime, I just found in the huge folder (I'm not big on paper work!) from the distributor, their technical sheet and some additional recommendations for Itunes. I should have looked more closely into the folder they sent me, but their technical lady was keeping in touch with me about the encoding process, and so I assumed everything would work out through her.

SD Source
NTSC
QuickTime

Frame Size: 720x486 or 720x480
Frame Rate: 29.97 or 23.98
Codecs: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
10 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2
8 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2

Audio: Stereo: LPCM in either Big Endian or Little Endian,
16-bit or 24-bit, at least 48kHz
Surround: Expected channels: L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs, LtRt

My film is a narrative documentary, shot in SD 4:3, edited in 4:3 aspect ratio, with archival footage, super 8 shots and 5.1 surround sound.
I pasted below the list of additional points for Itunes, to show that encoding my film for most of these internet platforms is no easy task. And I have not even touched on the subtitles' issue! I already warned them that I am not even going to go there, I've paid my dues already!

Additional points:
1. Severe or noticeable audio-pops
2. Severe interlacing or ghosting in the frames, images or subtitles
3. Severe instances of digital blocking or break-up
4. Mixed frame rates in narrative features (Yes - it’s a different standard for Doc’s because often in Doc’s you are dealing with footage from various sources)
5. Dual text elements appearing on screen – you can’t have subtitles burned in to the feature and also have a different language subtitle track appear.
6. Dual Mono audio - this would be accepted only in the case of very old content where there was never a stereo file made.
7. Empty Audio Channels – if you are supplying a 5.1 file, all channels need to be active (i.e. there must be audio present in all 6 channels). Any empty channels will be flagged and you will be asked to resupply the entire audio file.
8. Mixed Aspect Ratios – the entire feature must be in the same aspect ratio (ex: 1.78, 1.85 or 2.35). Some allowances are made for differences in the aspect ratios of the opening and end credits and for Doc footage. Narrative features must be consistent throughout, however.

I'll be back with more shortly.

Cheers!

Donia

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2013 at 5:51:25 pm

Hi Donia,
For iTunes they request a high quality master, because the final compression have to be done by one of the companies that Apple has licensed. They want ProresHQ or Uncompressed, and they won't accept an Mp4 even if is perfectly processed.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 15, 2013 at 6:50:20 pm

Thanks again Rafael! For now, I will leave Itunes out of it, and focus the VoD platforms, Amazon...

BTW, if Sascha's method does not work for plain 16:9 anamorphic, in that it will come up letterboxed as you wrote above, what above Nick Meyer's method which is similar to your first suggestion, no?

You first suggested: "Just drop your movie on a sequence with the same settings but Anamorphic."

And Nick Meyer's suggestion was:
"another approach would be to drop your finished film into a new timeline: same settings for everything but set to anamorphic.
oh, yes, and go into the sequence settings, Video Processing, and turn motion scaling to BEST

you need to BLOW UP your footage to 133.33%

just like Sasha's method you can control each shot, adjusting the framing up or down, key framing it if needed,
even leaving some shots stretched wide if they work best that way.
(i have even dome some simple composting to make 4/6 shots work as 16/9)

main difference is you now have a 16/9 anamorphic version of your film,
not a 4/3 letter-boxed one."

Rafael, please let me know what you think if you get a chance.

Donia

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:43:52 pm

i think you should try it

nick

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:54:32 pm

I will Nick... and I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again,

Donia

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:37:39 am

Sorry people, that I can't be to active on that thread right now, since I'm performing in England the coming days.
Just one question/remark: I saw many times now mentioned the idea to drop the footage into a 16/9 anamorphic TL.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you do this to native SD footage in 4/3, don't you get then a horizontal distortion, meaning a horizontal stretch out of the material?

I know that my version is only an esthetical 16/9 solution, giving the widescreen look to a 4/3 footage, but the anamorphic version for this material would cause distortion.

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 16, 2013 at 2:09:39 am

no, only if the clips themselves are flagged as anamorphic.
otherwise you should get a 4/3 pillar-boxed image.

nick

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:52:37 am

[Donia Mili] "You first suggested: "Just drop your movie on a sequence with the same settings but Anamorphic."

And Nick Meyer's suggestion was:
"another approach would be to drop your finished film into a new timeline: same settings for everything but set to anamorphic.

you need to BLOW UP your footage to 133.33%"

You put the 4x3 picture with SIZE AT 100% inside a 16x9 frame
Nothing is blown-up.
There are not Black bars nowhere.
The top and bottom of the picture are cropped.
rafael

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:29:31 am

Rafael & Nick: I am VERY grateful for all your ideas, and I will do my best to put them into application.

I also wrote to the distributor, asking them just how much this 16:9 format meant to them :)? Notwithstanding, I am actually in the mood to attempt this metamorphosis or rather shape-shifting of my film, which coincidentally enough revolves around ayahuasca and shamanism!

Until next time,

Donia

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:59:59 am

You put the 4x3 picture with SIZE AT 100% inside a 16x9 frame
Nothing is blown-up.
There are not Black bars nowhere.
The top and bottom of the picture are cropped.
rafael

Raphael, what do you mean by 16/9 frame?
if you mean a 16/9 sequence, then what you say doesn't make any sense.

if you mean a 16/9 mask well, then there are black bars top & bottom

nick

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:26:44 am

[Nick Meyers] "Raphael, what do you mean by 16/9 frame?
if you mean a 16/9 sequence, then what you say doesn't make any sense.

if you mean a 16/9 mask well, then there are black bars top & bottom"

I was talking about a 16x9 sequence, but you are right. the picture size will be 133%.

I have messed my self. Sorry, I was thinking in terms of definition and in this case we do not really blow the picture up, but interpolate horizontal lines to change the picture geometry.
We start with 720 vertical lines and end up with the same 720 lines.

Anyway, letter-boxing means that on 16x9 screens we will end up with black bars no only on top and bottom, but also at both sides. Will lose lot of vertical definition.
Working on a 16x9 frame, we will display 720x480/6 active lines.

For me the idea of letter-boxing makes no much sense. That's the resource we have been using for years because screens where 4x3 and many of them had no Anamorphic option. Screens now are 16x9.

[Donia Mili] "
I also wrote to the distributor, asking them just how much this 16:9 format meant to them :)?"

You should.
If the film is 4x3, should be played like that.
better being pillar-boxed on 16x9 screens, that missing part of the picture.
rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:17:36 am

This likely won't help your situation, but I had a video given to me to edit that was shot in the wrong aspect ratio of 3:4 when the others in the series were all anamorphic 16:9. I tried blowing up the SD 3:4 and then masking it, wasn't happy with the effect because of lost resolution and headroom issues. I edited myself around the problem.

I dropped the 3:4 into a new 16:9 timeline, pushed it over to the left margin of safe action, which takes two-thirds of the screen, and added sub-screens to the right side one-third of the screen, alternating them over time much like some of the sequences in the film doc of "Woodstock". Sometimes it was two 3:4's stacked in that third of the space with a thin black mullion, other times, a tall, narrow, double-height single screen, which worked great for showing the map of Illinois, for instance, which is taller than it is wide. In those PIP windows, I would put in a mix of stills and motion footage of stuff that would normally be full-screen cut-away shots for whatever the guy in the main window was talking about.

The hybrid screen experience works pretty darned well, and looks like an intentional aesthetic choice. Lucky for me the piece was rather short, which also helped. I don't know how an audience would like it for an entire thirty minutes or more.

This is how it looks in the anamorphic squeeze;

And when properly un-squeezed for 16:9 viewing:

But I bring this up to suggest that maybe you could, in the future, re-edit your existing work and meet the 16:9 requirement, by just adding these kinds of secondary screens with more visual data that you didn't have room to add in the original version. This gives you a program you could watch a couple times and still see something new each time. It's going back to montage theory, where A+B equals a C that is more than the sum of A&B.

It worked for Marty :-)

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:34:38 am

Hi Mark,

I see that the philosophical insight, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts can be applied to montage theory as well, which makes sense.

I read your experiment with interest, and creatively speaking the idea of introducing on one screen, multidimensional visual threads speaks to me. I have a hard time with concision, my first film runs about 130 min, while the second one (the one I have been asked to transform into a 16:9 widescreen) is about 110 min. The more, the better is my M.O.!

These days, it seems to me that audiences are evolving, and demanding a more specialized content, not to mention there is an audience for everything. In short and in the near future, I want to try to edit secondary screens as you described above; the French in me is all giddy about it!

For now I have to focus on the more practical and efficient solution to respond to the distributor's demands, but know that your input has not fallen on deaf ears.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Shine on,

Donia

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41:10 am

Nick, many thanks for paying close attention to my question and the thread.

A big thank you to Rafael as well, and yes, I agree that leaving my film at 4:3 would be the better way to go.

In gratitude,

Donia

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:24:05 am

thinking more about it over the weekend.

while i argued that as you will most likely have to blow the piece up anyway, so you might as well do that in FCP,
there is a good argument against this,
2 in fact.

1. FCP's scaling is not the best.
2. it ads a later of complexity

so i i now think the best way forward is to duplicate your sequence,
place a 16/9 mask over it's entirely,
and re-frame / re-work you shots underneath that mask

export this to give you a letterboxes version.
you then have two options:
crop your export down. ok if you are delivering a small frame-size for the web.
blow it up in After Effects, or some app that does a better job of scaling than FCP

nick

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:44:11 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for brainstorming even further about this issue.

I'm willing to give this other method a shot, but the challenge will be to find a better app than FCP to do the scaling afterward.

I don't have After Effects, and I'm not familiar with this application. I am also in Brazil at the moment, but on my way back to the NYC in the next couple of months or so and there, I would find some options.

Yours till the cow mooooooooooooos,

Donia

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:03:06 am

[Donia Mili] "I'm willing to give this other method a shot, but the challenge will be to find a better app than FCP to do the scaling afterward. "
Motion has very good resizing filter: Lanczos.
Is not on the Filters folder, but on Image Units > Geometry Adjustment.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 23, 2014 at 3:54:43 pm

I know this is an old thread, but what did you wind up doing?

Bob

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on May 26, 2014 at 2:29:44 pm

Hi Bob,

I did not get a chance to do the conversion yet, as my life took an unexpected turn and I have had to put the indie film world on the back burner. In the meantime, a fellow filmmaker emailed me personally in August about this very conversion issue, and this is what he wrote:

Question?
Can I convert my film's aspect ratio from 4X3 to 16X9?

Yes, fast and easy.

Best Way to Convert 4x3 to 16x9

I shot all my films in 4x3 (1.33:1).

Download FormatFactory 3.1.1
Freeware (Professional Media Converter)
http://www.pcfreetime.com/download.html

1. Install,
2. Run,
3. On the left-side menu bar, click on the format you want to convert to (example avi, mov, etc),
4. Click on, Add File (your source),
5. Select (source file) click on open,
6. Click on output settings,
7, Select (High quality and size) option,
8. Click on (video Size) and set to (720x480 DVD-NTSC),
9. Click on (Aspect Ratio) and set to (16:9),
10. Click on OK,
11. Select (Output Folder),
12. Click on OK,
13. Click on (Start) top menu bar.
14. Wait for a few hours (2-15 hours) depending on how fast your system is and how big your source file is.

Your Done :)

Your newly converted video will be 16x9 (1.78:1) anamorphic widescreen (the best form of widescreen available).

There will not be black bars on the sides when viewing this on a widescreen 16x9 TV, it will fill the screen.

Another, thing I should mention is after you create your new (16:9) source file, you'll want to create DVD masters and DVD copies. In order to do so correctly, you will need to set your DVD creator program to (16:9) if, you do not it will be created as a re-encoded as a (4:3) aspect ratio again.

Use (the following) Freeware Program:

VSO DivxtoDVD 0.5.2b

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/convert_video/vso_divxtodvd_f...
(It's easy and professional)

It will convert avi, divx, xvid, mov, mp4 and so on.

A vast majority, of filmmakers use this program.

As simple as 1,2,3 really....

Install,
Run,
Select Source File,
Select Destination Folder,
Select Aspect - Click on (Force 16:9),
Select Standard - Click on (Automatic),
Click on (Convert) button.

Your Done :) it takes around 2 hours if, your source file has a runtime of 90 minutes.

Your DVD will be region free, have Dolby Digital 2.0 Audio and be anamorphic widescreen (1.78:1).

Burn to a Blank DVD-R or DVD+R disc with the burning program of your choice.

One important thing you'll need to make sure you do, before you burn to a Blank DVD is (the following):

Create a folder - Title it:
AUDIO_TS
(just as you see it here with the caps and underscore).

Do not put anything in the folder leave it empty.

Burn this folder AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS Folder that was created by VSO DivxtoDVD to a blank DVD.

The AUDIO_TS Folder allows for older and some newer model DVD player to detect the DVD content correctly and to confirm it's an actual DVD being played.

Donia

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 26, 2014 at 3:25:53 pm

Hello Donia. Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your problems in finishing your film. I appreciate the info you provided and will definitely look into it. I am trying to accomplish a similar task.

I have many hours of archaeology footage I would like to convert from 4x3 to 16x9 SD for DVD release. The main issue I have run into is pixelization in some shots. Other than that, it doesn't look too bad.

Thanks again, and good luck with everything.

Bob

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]