FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Grading Plugins

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Santiago
Color Grading Plugins
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:51:09 pm

Can someone tell me what plugins or software were used to achieve these color graded looks?

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Color Grading Plugins
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:56:45 pm

That could be any number of color correction software and or plugins. I will tell you that they probably used a very good cam (Red, Arri, etc) and lighting during the shoot. Start with great footage and the rest will come along much easier!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Jose Santiago
on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:01:52 pm

I personally use Magic Bullet looks and shoot with the same camera they use with great lighting and a flat picture. But I was just wondering if there is special filters they are using to get those colors like that. I can't seem to achieve it even with a variety of looks and filters.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:11:10 pm

It could be multiple layers with different color looks, feathered and masked to reveal the desired look.

In other words, not the kind of thing you'd enjoy doing in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:12:31 pm

Have a look to Magic Bullet Looks.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:09:49 pm

Professional colorists generally don't rely on plugins...but full on color systems. This could have been done with DaVinci Resolve...if the edit was done with FCP, they might have used Color. And not relied on presets, but did a lot of tweaking. There are full on professions where the only thing they do is color grade....and not rely on plugins.

BUT...plugins are great for when you are new to the area of grading. I have, and often still do, rely on them from time to time. You might not be able to get the exact look of that video...because the artists responsible for it might have used several things to get it to look that way.

Magic Bullet Looks is best for those who are new to grading. Color is a full on color app and requires some know how and a bit of color knowledge, as does Resolve.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:14:34 pm

There are some sticky fingerprints in this pop promo that suggest that GenArts Sapphire plugins may have been involved, but, you know without the watermarks, hard to tell. Worth checking out, even if the plugin set is almost twice the price of Resolve (software, anyway). But also doesn't really expect the years of experience. Resolve also comes with a set of pre-cooked looks that will be nice if you get the Primary grade right, which does help newcomers achieve some quick results, even if its... "oh, that... I don't F@#& with that." But don't get me wrong, its eye candy all the same.

Wow, people are still making music videos. Thought that all died fifteen years ago.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jose Santiago
on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:37:15 pm

You my friend, have nailed it. Thank you. Great eye.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:57:23 am

[Shane Ross] "Professional colorists generally don't rely on plugins...but full on color systems."
I agree with you Shane, but I would add that to master something like MagicBullet Looks, the knowledge of a professional colorist are needed. Also that those plugins are thought to be used only after a proper Primary CC.
rafael

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:20:29 am

Hahaha, Great comment: People still make music videos?
Yes, weird enough it still happens, just worked on one recently.
I'd also second the first opinion: First of good camera, a DoP that knows what he is doing & good lighting.
I see a lot of Vignette use in the video, Black Diffusion and silky look around edges of things, like the Green Pearl look in Magic Bullet Looks.
I think also, that you can get a quiet similar look like the video from Bullet Looks, if you tweak around.
But you need pro footage like this to begin with.

When I look at the video, I feel like vomiting: As a true Hip Hop Lover,
this thing reminds how low the standards in this genre went in the times of Lil' Waynes and 50Cents.

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]