FORUMS: list search recent posts

FPS Questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Mars
FPS Questions
on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:59:49 am

So I am filming my family and I skiing on a GoPro Hero 3, set to 720 - 120fps. My main question is - I know that my Final Cut (an express version that runs similar to 7) will only offer a timeline that runs in 720-30fps. Because of these differences, when I file>import the 120fps movies, then drag them to the timeline, I have to render ( a pain in the backside, and a second question I have in a moment) them to the 30fps timeline. My question is, once I have rendered them, if I then slow them by 25% (30x4 = 120) will Final Cut use all 120 of those frames now that the clip is slowed down, or simply stretch out the rendered 30fps version?

Second question: Does anyone know how to log and transfer a GoPro clip? My log and transfer says its an invalid file structure and refuses to work, but I only ask since rendering every clip I put on the timeline is a pain in the butt.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FPS Questions
on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17:37 am

[Nick Mars] "My question is, once I have rendered them, if I then slow them by 25% (30x4 = 120) will Final Cut use all 120 of those frames now that the clip is slowed down, or simply stretch out the rendered 30fps version?"
You do not slow down that by stuff changing the speed in FC.
If you put the 120fps on a 30fps sequence, first of all, 3 of every 4 frames will be dropped.
Then if you slow it down, new frames will be created.
That's a crap of process that will damage the picture and will make a bad slow mo.

You need to CONFORM the footage in CinemaTools to 30fps.
That will make a 30fps movie with the image slow down to a 25% speed, keeping the picture untouched.

Work always with duplicated clips.
Once you have conformed a clip to a new time-base, you can't re-conform back to the original time-base.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nick Mars
on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:40:15 am

Thanks - I actually run FCE so I dont have that, but I appreciate the answer. I will look into a standalone way to achieve the slow motion, but for now I have a new question.

This might get a little confusing for a second to try and bear with me. Because I am going through hours of footage, I selected time codes while viewing in quicktime (as my editor playback is very jumpy/laggy) and placed those selected parts down on the timeline. (to rephrase, I set my ins/outs and brought all the rough cut clips into the timeline) I then had to render these files, I assumed because they were 120fps while the timeline was running 30fps. I next took these rendered versions of the files and put them back up into my browser. Now, when I look at these clips, they are identified as 30fps as well. However, when I drag them back down to the timeline, they need to render yet again. I know I have only mentioned fps but I checked, and these re-placed clips in the browser have identical settings to the timeline. So why is it still making me render? Is it simply reverting these clips back to their basic setting, and only preserving my ins and outs?
Please let me know if this is hard to follow.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:48:51 am

[Nick Mars] "I then had to render these files, I assumed because they were 120fps while the timeline was running 30fps."
Right but also because the codec of the footage. FCE only works native with DV or AIC stuff. Everything else needs to be rendered.

[Nick Mars] "I next took these rendered versions of the files and put them back up into my browser. Now, when I look at these clips, they are identified as 30fps as well. However, when I drag them back down to the timeline, they need to render yet again."
That shouldn't be like that. Obviously the render files should match the sequence settings.
I'm very sorry that I don't know much about FCE and I can't give you a cue on what's going on.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]