FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dark Foreground/Light Background - Best Way to Adjust

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Sordo
Dark Foreground/Light Background - Best Way to Adjust
on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:35:30 pm

Hey guys, what's the best way to fix this...

Doesn't have to be anything miraculous, just need more light on her face.

Thank You!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Dark Foreground/Light Background - Best Way to Adjust
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:17:33 am

Send to Color. In secondaries make a custom shape or use one of the circle shapes and make a soft ellipse. Increase the gamma inside the shape and then change to outside and drop the levels and gamma. You might have to track the shape if she moves. Concentrate on her face. The shirt doesn't matter as much.

Inside FCP I can only think of doing the same with Colorista2. Otherwise you could be mucking around with mattes and layering with different grades but if you can drive Color it is a much better tool for exactly this sort of bad light shooting.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Dark Foreground/Light Background - Best Way to Adjust
on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:58:07 pm

I agree with Michael.

But if you aren't at all familiar with using Color, You can also fix this in the FCP timeline . I've had to fix other people's footage this way.

Duplicate the track.8,
Download the free PaulCrisp plug-ins that offer 12, 16, 32, or 64-point masking tools. For this, the 8 or 12 is plenty accurate.

Use the masking tool to cut her out of the background on the upper layer. You only need to get it close; by adjusting the feathering control you'll get a great result, and this goes very fast.

Now apply the 3-way color corrector to both tracks. Adjust the subject's levels, bringing up the blacks and mids a bit, and darken the background track using the same controls.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]