FORUMS: list search recent posts

Embedding 8 Channels of Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Heilmann
Embedding 8 Channels of Audio
on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34:52 pm

Could use some help here, please:

FCP7: I have a sequence with 8 channels of audio. The seuquence audio settings are set to descrete audio and I have set the audio output up for 8 mono channels.

When I am exporting the sequence the Quicktime file has 8 channels of audio, however only channel 1 and 2 have audio, the remaining 6 are silent. I have played around like crazy, but can not come up with the right solution.

Eventually I want to end up with an MP4 with 8 channels of embedded audio...

Any thoughts? Thank you!

In Touch Media Entertainment
Munich, Germany

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Embedding 8 Channels of Audio
on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:44:05 pm

Did you follow all of the steps I outline here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/multi-audio/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann
on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:07:00 pm

Great thank you! That works.

So now my bottleneck seems to be Compressor. My Quicktime 10 Bit Uncompressed has 8 channels of audio. I verified this via re-import into FCP7.

When I open this file in compressor the info says it only has Stereo audio? Why would Compressor not see the 8 channels?

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:17:26 pm

Dunno...but have Compressor NOT recompress the audio. Select PASS THROUGH.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann
on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:26:12 pm

Pass through is what I am doing... however since Compressor "believes" the file only has Stereo audio, it's only passing a Stereo audio through... hmmm

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:32:42 pm

Try MPEG STREAMCLIP...just do a SAVE AS an MP4...it'll have the same codec, only MP4. Or...what codec are you trying to deliver?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:20:46 pm

Shane, I used to get some rejections from a high-level QA client claiming that my on-tape audio tracks were not "stereo" when viewed on a phase meter. I adopted the step of selecting the stereo tracks (if they had been delivered as discrete Left and Right tracks) choosing Modify... Make stereo pair. It may appear that it only makes the two little red arrows appear in the timeline, but I get the feeling there is something more going on....

Also, unless you choose something other than "stereo monitoring" in audio sequence settings, and in this case, the only option that FCP gives you is "Surround 5.1", compressor won't recognize that you are trying to export discrete tracks and will default back to 2 channel audio. Once you are in the compressor or FCP Conversion parameters dialogue, you will see what audio encoding options are available. This only changes if you choose away from 2 channel stereo, and of course if you choose Export Quicktime Movie, you don't get any options at all. Its supposed to follow the sequence... but... in my experience, it doesn't.

Its also worthwhile to pull up the Audio Mixer from Tools... and you can push the Left/Right sliders in that window, as well.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann
on Mar 13, 2013 at 7:04:40 am

So I found a fix for my particular situation - albeit it being a bit cumbersome.

As I said, Compressor 4 was only seeing a Stereo audio track (Info window in Compressor) in a 1080p25 Clip with 8CH audio and handled it accordingly (only passing on stereo).

I opened the clip with QT Player 7 and looked at the properties. 8 channels of audio as expected. Then I changed the Labels (is that what you call those?) for each channel. They were all set to mono by default. I went ahead and assigned the corresponding surround labels from the available list to each each channel. Saved the file and voila, Compressor is seeing the audio as 7.1 and handling it accordingly...

...sometimes manual labor i inevitable?

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:42:45 pm

If what you are calling 8 channel is actually 7.1 (Surround 5.1 plus a stereo LtRt), then there is a virtually pre-set workflow for exporting this out of Final Cut. It involves picking the Surround 5.1 audio monitoring option in the sequence audio settings and setting up your tracks appropriately. Sending to Final Cut Conversion or Compressor should almost automatically set up the SMPTE track allocation in the audio dialog. I do this very often for clients who request ProRes multi-track "masters", but the codec is almost irrelevant unless it can't handle multitracks at all.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]