FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need some tips in getting 9 gigs into a single-layer disk in DVDSP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
I need some tips in getting 9 gigs into a single-layer disk in DVDSP
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:44:37 am

Okay, clients are unwilling to spring for dual-layer blank media, I've been authoring a project and it is about nine gigs huge. The source files are NTSC DV. with an anamorphic
-derived 16:9 frame size.

What can I try, to get it all into one, single-layer disk? I will need pretty detailed instructions.

Any other strategies for shoehorning-in more media than is good for you? I'm assuming not, but I had to ask, will probably have to divide the clips between two single-layer disks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: I need some tips in getting 9 gigs into a single-layer disk in DVDSP
on Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58:35 am

Well 9 gigs is too big for two disks or a double sided but I presume you are looking to crunch the data rate even lower to get each to about 3.7 gigs. I would think it unwatchable to drop the data rate low enough for 9 gigs worth of normal DVD mpeg down to 3.7 for a single DVD+R.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:47:27 am

Hang on...

are you talking about putting 9G worth of DV files (45minutes of running time)
onto DVD disks?

or are you saying you're building a DVD and have 9g worth of already compressed m2v & ac3 files?

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:35:46 pm

9.8 gigs worth of files, something like 253 minutes or 4.2 hours of running time.

I'm wondering if my workflow is a problem: I'm exporting self-contained QT files, DV NTSC codec, to a drive, then dragging the files into DVDSP and dropping them onto the picons for their assigned tracks in the graphical view. This always used to work just fine, but those projects were all much shorter.

Is there some voodoo I can apply to my files thru Compressor that would make them smaller yet retain good SD resolution?

My fallback is to play each track out of FCP's timeline, into a stand-alone realtime DVD recorder, set to a 4-hour "speed". That will probably fit, but I lose the interactive menuing and linking, and it will look "industrial".

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:46:53 pm

you can drop your data rate in the DVDSP preferences,
but 4.2 Hours might just be a bit too much.

you could be better off with 2 DVDs

one thing though:
if you could drop your audio data rate it could help more than you'd first think.
can you go to mono inside of stereo?
that'll half your audio size.

i do this for the web, when it's appropriate, but i'm not sure if you can do it for DVDs

nick

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:07:26 pm

[Mark Suszko] "9.8 gigs worth of files, something like 253 minutes or 4.2 hours of running time."

So the 9.8 gigs you're referring to is obviously the mpeg2 files, right? Because 253 minutes of DV would be 50gigs @ roughly 5 min per gig.

So you've already compressed it, but it wasn't small enough. 4+ hours. That's immense for a DVD. You need to at least use compressor. But the data rate is going to be so low I think you're going to see blocky garbage. Hollywood movies utilize a 2 layer disc for this to nearly double the amount of info. They don't compromise the data rate much. But they also use 24p so they're getting 20% more use of space right off the bat too.

BTW compression settings in DVDSP are in..... preferences.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:36:29 pm

If you are creating a DVD video; You need to create DVD compliant files (mpeg2) adjust data rate to fit.

If you are creating a DVD DATA disc, it won't work.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:08:38 pm

Where, specifically, do I adjust that data rate?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:27:16 pm

i don't know, i use compressor,
did you look?

i did.
no controls for audio, so maybe compressor is the way.

nick

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:39:38 am

[Mark Suszko] "Where, specifically, do I adjust that data rate?"
In Preferences > Encoding.

Compressor has a Preset for "Best Quality 120 minutes DVD".
That has 5Mbps data rate.
If you want to make a 4 hours DVD, you need to reduce the data-rate to some 2.5Mbps.
That will make a real crap of DVD.
If you want to keep a minimum of quality, or you use a Double-layer disk, or you use two disks.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]