FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 1 / Backup Configurations for Editing System

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Adams
RAID 1 / Backup Configurations for Editing System
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:18:10 pm

Hey Guys - I'm upgrading my setup, and these are the options I now have to work with:

2x 2TB 7200 internal drives, 6gb/s
1x 4TB G-Raid Drive (two physical drives inside) via eSata
1x 3TB G-drive (single physical drive inside) via eSata

So far, I have not been able to configure the 4TB G-Raid drive from Raid 0 to Raid 1... any ideas? There must be some software out there...

I'm wondering if my ideal setup would be:

A- 2TB RAID 1 using the two internals for active projects + 2TB RAID 1 using the external G-Raid for inactive projects
B- 2x 2TB RAID 1 using each internal drive as one partition of RAID and the split-external as the second partition to the RAID
or
C- Something else that would utilize the 3TB? As of now, I have not much need for it, other than maybe to use as an archive drive... but it makes me nervous with it only being 1 physical disk inside.

Any ideas? What would be ideal for workflow/system performance?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: RAID 1 / Backup Configurations for Editing System
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:40:56 pm

[Eddie Adams] "So far, I have not been able to configure the 4TB G-Raid drive from Raid 0 to Raid 1... any ideas? There must be some software out there..."

No can do. These units are hard wired to be RAID 0. If you want Raid 1, look at Caldigit VR units.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:46:24 pm

that seems like such a terrible design flaw. i have no real interest in purchasing new drives - both G-drives were given to me so I'm just trying to the make the best use out of them as possible. Currently my 4TB G-Raid is using solely as a backup drive, to mirror 3 separate 1TB drives using a program called Synk Pro. However, I'm not in love with this setup and would prefer something more streamlined.

Is it possible to partition the 4TB G-Raid 0 into two separate 2TB drives, and use those partitions to as the mirrors for the 2TB Internal drives in a Raid 1 setup? I'm sure it's not ideal, but seems like a reasonable means to an end.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:50:15 pm

[Eddie Adams] "that seems like such a terrible design flaw."

Not really...those drives are designed for speed. They are sold as such. If you didn't want that...you don't buy it. I know they were given to you, but really...if you think it is a flaw, buy them/use them.

[Eddie Adams] "Is it possible to partition the 4TB G-Raid 0 into two separate 2TB drives, and use those partitions to as the mirrors for the 2TB Internal drives in a Raid 1 setup?"

Well, yeah, I guess. But that won't stop the fact that if one drive dies, the whole unit goes. Again, it's hard wired to have both drives show up as a single drive. Even if you partition it into two, and then RAID 1 that...if a drive goes...it's all gone. The point of RAID 1 is if one drive dies, you have the other.

You won't be able to do what you are trying. Best thing to do with the current drives is manually back them up.

Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:59:24 pm

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks for the fast reply.

I understand what you're saying about the setup I proposed, but let me clarify:

1 2TB internal = Edit Drive 1
1 2TB internal = Edit Drive 2
1 4TB external, partitioned into 2 drives. One partition = mirror of Edit Drive 1, one partition = mirror of Edit Drive 2.

So yes, not a true RAID 1 setup, but seems to be more of a streamlined option than using Synk or Time Machine to back up each internal drive to the external. My only concern would be, does this slow down the 6gb/s internal drives since they're forced to mirror the 3gb/s external?

I guess another option would be:

RAID 1 setup using both 2tb internal drives for my Active Edit Drive.
+
Use the 3TB G-Drive for project archival, with the 4TB G-Raid as the backup drive to that. Benefit to that would be, I would not have to keep either external drive constantly powered, since they would be used just for archival purposes.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:15:31 pm

The problem with that setup is that if the 4TB drive goes...you lose BOTH of your backups.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:33:13 am

Just going to chime in here quick with the difference between backup and redundancy. RAID 1 provides redundancy against hardware disk failure in order to minimize down time. It does *not* provide a backup of your files. If you delete a file from a RAID 1 setup that file is gone from all drives. If a file goes corrupt it is corrupt on all drives. If your setup gets fried from a power surge or lightening strike everything plugged in/hooked up will get hit.

Now, you could use a RAID 1 as a backup if it was an external unit and only plugged in/hooked up when an actual file backup was happening. Better yet it would be store in a different geographical location (so a fire at a single location couldn't destroy both your orignal and your backups).

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:34:37 pm

Got it, thanks for all the tips guys.

One more question -- is it stupid to use two drives from the same manufacturing batch for a Raid 1 setup? In theory, if it's a bad batch, aren't you risking a lot by using two drives from the same batch? Is it more ideal to mix-and-match two different drives, possibly different brands and/or batches, as long as the RPM/Size/Cache specs match?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:02:28 am

I've heard some people say you should use the same drive manufacturer and others say it doesn't matter as long as all the specs match.

Personally, I mix manufacturers for just the reason you brought up Eddie and I've made over 100 mirrored pairs this way w/o an issue. A few years ago Seagate had a firmware problem with a batch of its drives and of course some of the drives I were from that batch. Thankfully I'd mixed manufacturers so only one drive in the backup pair was compromised. I cloned the 'good' drives onto other drives (so I was back to two safe copies) then I ran the utility Seagate released to fix the firmware problem and all was good in the world again.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]