FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV capture breaking into small clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
HDV capture breaking into small clips
on Mar 11, 2013 at 2:39:48 pm

I occasionally shoot in HDV and everytime I capture footage it always breaks the capture into dozens of small clips where I stopped and started the recording instead of just using my in/out points. How do I override this?

Also, I unchecked Abort Capture on Dropped Frames and it aborts anyway. Why does it do this and how can I prevent it?

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: HDV capture breaking into small clips
on Mar 11, 2013 at 3:55:18 pm

[Leonard Frankford] "everytime I capture footage it always breaks the capture into dozens of small clips where I stopped and started the recording instead of just using my in/out points."

This is the nature of HDV. Everytime you hit start/stop it will make a new clip. It's a bi-product of the compression algorithm used to capture HDV to a miniDV tape ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV ). FCP will capture from your In point to your Out point, but if that covers multiple times you hit start/stop you'll end up with multiple clips in FCP.

[Leonard Frankford] "Also, I unchecked Abort Capture on Dropped Frames and it aborts anyway. Why does it do this and how can I prevent it?"

If you ignore dropped frames then you do so at your own peril. Dropped frames mean that your computers hard drive could not keep up with the signal being ingested. So if you shot at 720p30 and it drops frames then it may only be capturing 10 or 12 of the 30 frames per second that you shot. Aborting capture when that happens makes you aware that the ingest was not successful. If this regularly happens it probably means that either (1) your hard drive is too full or (2) your hard drive your ingesting to is too slow to record the incoming signal.

If you want to ignore it, go to Final Cut Pro --> User Preferences... and uncheck the "Abort Capture on Dropped Frames" box. Though, again, I'm not clear why one would do this.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Mar 11, 2013 at 4:47:36 pm

Also try changing your capture preset to "HDV-Apple ProRes 422"

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 11, 2013 at 8:20:13 pm

"I occasionally shoot in HDV and everytime I capture footage it always breaks the capture into dozens of small clips where I stopped and started the recording instead of just using my in/out points. How do I override this?"

yes, you CAN override this.
there is check box in one of the Log & Capture tabs,
the main one, i think.

dropped frames:
definitely keep that checked
you need to fix that problem rather than ignore it

nick

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 11, 2013 at 7:58:41 pm

[Leonard Frankford] "Also, I unchecked Abort Capture on Dropped Frames and it aborts anyway. Why does it do this and how can I prevent it?"

It depends on whether or not you are using the HDV log&capture mode or the regular Final Cut Log & Capture. The HDV mode will capture natively, but the FCP one will have difficulty, because it may be trying to transcode the incoming video stream (if you are not using the DV connection in favour of SDI) and this is not usually possible.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:25:29 am

Nick is right. There is a check box in the Log & Capture windows to make a new clip on every camera stop start. Uncheck that.

Whilst the technique of capturing to ProRes422 makes the edit better it breaks the timecode trace back to the camera tapes so before editing you should backup all your edit files onto another drive because the ProRes files effectively become your new master. You can't recapture off tape if you lose a drive. So one step forward and one step back. It also consumes a lot more drive space but drives are now so cheap that isn't as relevant as your time.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:09:50 am

A downside to capturing HDV as ProRes is that it gives you 1440x1080 files 1920x1080 files and I've found that having non-full raster HD ProRes files can lead to unpredictable results (errors, crashes, etc.,) when exporting and going to/from Color.

Return to posts index

john whiteway
on Jul 23, 2014 at 9:39:43 pm

Hello.

Amazing these chat rooms. A computer whiz friend has just forwarded me a link to this page which seems to deal with the problem that has been baffling us. We'd been capturing HDV nicely, then one day we began getting separate clips at every start/stop point. I've been trying to figure that one out since. now I've begun thinking I'd run a "trash preferences" program and maybe that had unchecked the box this page refers to. Problem is I've been looking everywhere - from the Log and Capture window to Preference and can't find it. Can someone tell me exactly where that button/check box is and how I get there. (I'm using FCP 7 by the way.)

Here's hoping, fingers crossed, etc.

thanks.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]