FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing square pixels and rectangular pixels in Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Martin
Mixing square pixels and rectangular pixels in Final Cut Pro 7
on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:59:43 pm

Hi there, I haven't used this forum before but hopefully someone can come up with some useful suggestions for me.

I have just been given about 300GB of footage to start editing, recorded by two different cameramen on two different cameras, an EX1 and an EX3. Both of these cameras have the option to record at the highest quality, which is 1920x1080 with square pixels, but for whatever reason, one of the cameras was recording at 1920, while the other one was going at the 1440x1080 rectangular pixels setting.

Now I have to edit these two together. Final Cut doesn't seem to mind if I stick them on the same timeline, but it looks like it will have to do some rendering work to the one that is different from the timeline setting.

Should I: just crack on and edit them together and hope Final Cut handles it ok? And if I do that, should I set the timeline at 1920 or 1440?

Or: should I transcode the 1920 footage down to be the same as the 1440? Bearing in mind it is quite a lot of footage and I don't have a great deal of time. Or should I make them all the same kind of prores file (they are currently mov)?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mixing square pixels and rectangular pixels in Final Cut Pro 7
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:03:01 pm

Edit in a 1920x1080 ProRes square pixel sequence. The anamorphic footage will have a green render bar, but you can edit just fine that way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]