FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jpegs look blurry when placed in sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Jpegs look blurry when placed in sequence
on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:47:36 am

Hi,
I scanned some maps to put into a FCP7 sequence, as jpeg still image files, and I'm having problems with them looking blurry and terrible when I place them into the sequence. I scanned these maps as large, high resolution files because I wanted them to look as clear as possible. First I was expecting they'd be much larger then the sequence's frame size, and I would place them in the sequence, then scale them down, with them still looking as clear as possible. It had been a while since I dealt with this kind of thing, and I had forgotten that FCP conforms your image to the sequence settings (I believe). They looked wrong. So then I tried to re-size the stills for my 720 X 480 sequence in Photoshop, which I did. But when I tried to place the re-sized jpegs in the FCP sequence, they looked blurry and bad, even though they looked fine/clear when I simply opened the files on my computer.
If anyone could advise me how to make these jpegs look clear and good in my sequence, I sure would appreciate it!
Thanks, Neil

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Jpegs look blurry when placed in sequence
on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:24:11 am

Have you rendered them? Are the settings in the RT menu set to high? Keep in mind that DV compression is brutal, 720x480 is low res for still images (it's basically to the worst possible quality setting on digital stills cameras) and if you are looking at it in FCP's Canvas window you are only seeing every other line of the image (unless you have the Canvas set to 100%).

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:52:14 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time Andrew, and the helpful insights. I took your advice and it helped a lot. What does RT mean exactly? I have an idea that it means your computer doesn't have to work as hard if it's not set on high, but it doesn't affect the end product as much as how you see it in the canvas window right? So the blurriness I saw was more what I was viewing in the canvas window, rather than what I would have seen in the end product? Regardless, I got it to work when I exported a Quicktime movie, etc. Much appreciated again, Andrew.

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Mar 10, 2013 at 2:26:37 am

Yes like Andrew said set your canvas to 100% and see how that looks, probably much better. Keep your images at the original high quality, then set to 100% to view. Export that out as a Quicktime movie and see how it looks in QT player. It shouldn't be as bad as you see it now, but bringing hi res images into a 720x480 SD sequence will result in major quality loss.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 10, 2013 at 3:51:45 am

And avoid the DV codec.
rafael

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:55:57 pm

Thanks a lot, Rafael. I will do that. May I just ask, what codec would you advise using to make a 720X480 SD sequence look as good as possible? Especially to be viewed online.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:52:59 pm

Thank you Spencer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]