FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export in Apple Pro Res (HQ)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Gotti
Export in Apple Pro Res (HQ)?
on Mar 9, 2013 at 10:30:26 pm

Hello,

I just started as an editor at this advertising company in the UK.

One of the editors mentioned that I should always export my sequences as Apple Pro Res (HQ) if it's for broadcast... I have never done this before, is this true? I think he even went as far as saying they would reject it if it wasn't??

Also, he told me to always encode footage to Apple Pro Res (LT) , unless it's been filmed on a camera such as the RED. Surely this would just lower the quality of the footage?

I personally have always used Apple Pro Res to encode all my footage, am I wrong to do this, is (LT) better?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Export in Apple Pro Res (HQ)?
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:10:34 pm

If you transcode to LT and export that to HQ you are just wasting space on the export. Unless you have a problem with drive space, it is easier to stay ProRes422 all the way. This workflow is pretty bullet proof and preserves the image quality. HQ is no different to ProRes422 from LT source files. If you want to test it make a file of each, put one on the other in a timeline and set composite mode to difference and see if there is anything. Try split screening if you prefer but I doubt there is any difference to be seen.

LT is actually OK for a lot of work but for a broadcast workflow I would prefer to have ProRes422 from start to finish.

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:17:28 pm

Thanks for your reply,

So when he says that it will get rejected for broadcast if not exported in Apple Pro Res (HQ)... that's not true right? This is in the UK if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:31:53 pm

If broadcasters demand a file in HQ then supply it. If not then it is just making the file bigger.

Otherwise there is no technical reason why a broadcaster will reject it but sometimes broadcast deliverable contracts are more important than science. If is for a playout to tape or to encode an mpeg transport stream then no - absolutley nothing to be gained with HQ

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:34:09 pm

"Otherwise there is no technical reason why a broadcaster will reject it but sometimes broadcast deliverable contracts are more important than science."

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "broadcast deliverable contracts" please? :)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:38:35 pm

As Andrew says broadcasters have contracts with producers that state what is acceptable for delivery. These documents state technical details like tape, file formats, frame rates etc.

So whoever is responsible for delivering a finished master to a broadcaster should have those delivery specs as part of their contract. Many broadcasters also publish online there deliverable technical requirements.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:32:07 pm

[Oscar Gotti] "So when he says that it will get rejected for broadcast if not exported in Apple Pro Res (HQ)... that's not true right? This is in the UK if it makes any difference."

Does the broadcaster specifically asks for ProResHQ? If so you need need to deliver ProRes HQ otherwise they will reject it because you didn't deliver what was asked for.

Many times delivery requirements are set not just on quality but also on convenience of the receiving party. The broadcaster could easily receive dozens of deliverables a day and if there were no submission guidelines they would waste an exorbitant amount of time and money converting all the submissions into formats that fit into their workflow. It's makes more sense for everyone to deliver in ProResHQ (in this instance) than it does for the broadcaster to accept any format and then convert it all into ProResHQ themselves.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:35:20 am

If you have to deliver in HQ you might as well setup the timeline in or do a final render to HQ so anything that can benefit( fx, titles, etc ) do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]