FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video for art's sake

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
Video for art's sake
on Mar 9, 2013 at 4:36:16 pm

I use FCP 6 for editing relatively simple videos I shoot. Now I'm working on an art project for which I want to combine clips into a designed pattern of let's say (12) separate clips in three rows and four columns so that the result will be a single video combining the individual clips, each in its own "box". Hope that's clear.

If possible, I'd like to be pointed in the direction necessary to understand the technique I'll need for this.

I'm away from my workstation so haven't investigated the available FCP tools yet and am hoping to get a heads-up while I'm away worrying about making a living.

Thanks very much. Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
Re: Video for art's sake
on Mar 9, 2013 at 7:16:11 pm

Before any of you kind people jump at the chance to shine, this gem-in-the-rough (me) will attack the problem by reading all about compositing.

So thanks if you want to chime in and thanks if you don't.

Best, Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 9, 2013 at 7:55:26 pm

read up on using the Wireframe, and the Motion Tab in FCP.

there is also a plugin from Digital Heaven called DH-Box that could help.

nick

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Mar 9, 2013 at 9:04:44 pm

I would try Googling "video wall tutorial". You'll fnd a ton of links. I think that's what you're looking for.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Mar 9, 2013 at 9:19:19 pm

Gents! Thanks for the suggestions. Shooting stills for advertising for 30 years has provided a ton of opportunities to give other some help. Nice to get some for a change.

Much appreciated, Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:37:09 pm

Ken -

To do this simply in FCP you'll need to assign each clip to a separate track, in your case you'll need 12 tracks. You will then need to reduce each clip to the appropriate size and re-position using the Motion Tab for each clip. This is all mathematical - you'd have to specify the frame size of your timeline and also the frame size of the various clip elements to figure it out exactly. It will be much easier if all your clips are the same frame size, but you can figure it out mathematically in any event. You will also have to think about having a border around the clips in your grid or if you want them to match up edge to edge. If you go for a border you can make an overlay in Photoshop and this will make life much easier as you can hide slight irregularities in the edges of the clips under the border.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:19:18 pm

Herb, that's enormously helpful. I've got other things on my plate and assembling the formatting knowledge I'll need. Appreciate it. Thanks. Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]