FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-7 Viewer/Canvas Format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Lombardo
FCP-7 Viewer/Canvas Format
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:05:31 pm

I recently had to replace my hard drive on my IMAC 2008. In doing so, I had to re-install FCP 7 and all my settings went back to the default. I have two questions:

How do I adjust the render setting so that the small changes I make don't result in a "red" un-rendered bar?

On a saved project before I had to re-install FCP 7, all of my video was displayed anamorphic in the viewer and compressed to Apple Pro Res 422. After the re-install, most of it is 4:3 letterbox. What happened and how do I change it?

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
Re: FCP-7 Viewer/Canvas Format
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:19:55 pm

It sounds like your sequence settings don't match your footage (codec and frame size). You can go in to sequence settings and correct both of these, but if your frame rate is different you'll have to create a new sequence. Also once you adjust your sequence frame size to match your footage you may have to reset "scale" in the motions tab.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 9, 2013 at 5:14:38 am

"How do I adjust the render setting so that the small changes I make don't result in a "red" un-rendered bar?"

RT settings need to be set to "unlimited" rather than "Safe"
i cant rembere if that's in FCP USer Prefs (option Q) or FCP System Settings (Shift Q)

reason i cant remember is i always set it the simple way: the RT menu top left of timeline.

"all of my video was displayed anamorphic in the viewer and compressed to Apple Pro Res 422. After the re-install, most of it is 4:3 letterbox"

what, in the Viewer?
that's near on impossible
or do you mean once you have edited into a timeline?
in which case you sequence settings do not match your footage.

go to FCP A/V settings (option apple Q) and chose an appropriate sequence settings.
you have to put a tick next to it, not just have elected in blue

nick

Return to posts index

Tony Lombardo
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:40:57 am

Thanks-I have tried to change the sequence setting this with no joy. I do have some footage that plays on the Canvas in the full Anamorphic, but most of it is cropped. All of it is shot in 24P and converted to Apple Pro Res 422. I'm using the sequence preset Apple Pro Res 422(Lt) 1920x1080 24p 48khz

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:25:44 am

"Thanks-I have tried to change the sequence setting this with no joy"

what does that mean?
you can't change the settings?
or you can but your situation doesn't change?

" I do have some footage that plays on the Canvas in the full Anamorphic, but most of it is cropped"
a screen-grab would help

i wonder if the clips have been affected somehow.
open one in viewer, go to motion tab, is everything normal?
you can reset controls with the red x buttons

"All of it is shot in 24P and converted to Apple Pro Res 422"
"I'm using the sequence preset Apple Pro Res 422(Lt)"

one is ProRes, the other is ProresLT

what happens when you make a new sequence and edit a clip into it, and say YES to "match sequence to clip"

nick

Return to posts index

Tony Lombardo
on Mar 12, 2013 at 7:05:48 pm

When I start a new sequence, the problem goes away and the footage fills the Canvas and Viewer. However, when I change the sequence settings in my existing project, it does not fix the problem. I still have letterbox.

Is there something I am missing?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:31:46 am

great, thanks for the image, makes it a lot easier!

that frame size looks like you have a 16/9 sequence with an ADDITIONAL anamorphic setting.
so you have a 16/9 image with black bars either side (pillar-boxed) in a cinema-scope style frame.

turn anamorphic OFF in that sequence.
if your image is still pillar-boxed, which it probably will be, then select all and remove attributes.

if you have attributes you want to keep (motion effects) then try just removing distortion.
if you do have to remove scale as well, then you'll just have to re-build your motion effects,
so do this work on a COPY of the sequence.

nick

Return to posts index

Tony Lombardo
on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:53:18 pm

Thank you Nick! Removing Attributes and selecting "Distort" worked. I was almost at the point of rebuilding my time-line.....Relief.

-Tony

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:44:55 pm

my pleasure,
glad it was that simple in the end

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]