<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy G. Butler
Quicktime, OSX and MPEG-2 Issues across multiple Workstations
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:26:27 pm

Okay, the pertinent information:

I have two MacPro Workstations.

1 - An older one that's running OSX 10.5.8, QT7.7 and FCP6.0.6

2 - A newer one that's running OSX10.6.8, QTX and FCP 7.0.3

I have a JVC GY-HD250 Camera that uses a DTE DR-HD100 on-board hard drive that captures in either .MOV or .M2T. It's default is set to .MOV

The older MacPro has absolutely no problem whatsoever. Everything works like a champ. The newer one, however, refuses to open anything that's shot on that camera UNLESS I open it in FCP on the older one first.

Using Get Info I learned two things:
1 - the native codec from the hard drive is MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode.
2 - After I open that file in FCP (on the older one) it changes the codec to Integer (Big Endian), Timecode, HDV 720p60

Keep in mind that I don't have to save or export the file in anyway - I just have to import it into FCP and it makes that change to the source file on its own.

Everything I've seen in Google recommends that I either...
1 - Download the MPEG-2 Playback Component, but it explicitly states on the download page that if I have QTX already installed on the machine that it has the Component already and I will not be able to install it. So I'm not going to spend the $20

2 - Downgrade QT using Pacifist, which I did, and there's a shiny copy of QT7.6 on the new machine alongside QTX, but it still won't open the files.

or 3 - Download the ProApps Codec Pack. Which I tried, but the newer MacPro says there was already a newer version of that installed.

So, how do I make these footage files work on the newer MacPro? I'm exasperated. AND - if I were to upgrade the older MacPro to Snow Leopard (7.6.8), will that mess up the current setup I already have and render the files unusable on that machine as well?

Return to posts index

Jeremy G. Butler
Re: Quicktime, OSX and MPEG-2 Issues across multiple Workstations
on Mar 7, 2013 at 10:27:10 pm

Resolved! A little bit of Googling with some different search parameters led me to this:

http://www.tinyurl.com/FocusConverterMac

It's a patch utility put out by the manufacturers of the HDD. Here's the documentation (and a link for Windows users with the same issue): http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/documents/downloads/HDFileConverterPro_U...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]