FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wrong angle shot!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jodasche Michael
Wrong angle shot!
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:17:46 pm

Hey Guys, basically my camera man recorded a subject from a side angle instead of straight on. I require that the person is looking at the camera when speaking. Is there anyway I can edit the shot to make it look as if the person is looking directly into the camera?

We cannot reshoot as the person is a top official.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Wrong angle shot!
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:43:06 pm

No. Editing is dealing with the footage you have. You can't edit someone from looking to the side to make them somehow be looking forware. How on earth are you going to make a side shot of someone not looking at the camera look like they are looking at the camera? Well, with big expensive 3D modelling software that will scan one side of his face, then reconstruct the other side, roto out the background and rotate the subject...add a new background. We are talking Digital Domain type of work...Rhythm & Hues...ILM.

No...can't be done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jodasche Michael
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:53:15 pm

Whats the closest way I can come to fixing this?

I have footage of him talking to the camera a bit later. Do you think it would be possible to layer the audio of the wrong footage with the footage where he is looking at the cam where his mouth movements somewhat or even slightly mimic what he is saying in the wrong footage? Please do tell me the best way to go about this to fix it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:03:30 pm

[Jodasche Michael] "Whats the closest way I can come to fixing this?"

You can't. You have what you have. As I said, the only way to make the subject look forward is if you get some serious digital artists on this.

[Jodasche Michael] "Do you think it would be possible to layer the audio of the wrong footage with the footage where he is looking at the cam where his mouth movements somewhat or even slightly mimic what he is saying in the wrong footage?"

Nope. It won't match at all. And your audience will be able to spot it almost instantly. It would look like a bad dub of a Chinese movie.

[Jodasche Michael] "Please do tell me the best way to go about this to fix it."

The ONLY way to have him say what you want him to say, while looking at the camera, is to reshoot it that way. Otherwise you have to live with the side angle. Unless you have a few hundred thousand dollars for the VFX guys to tackle this. And I'm serious...there is no viable way to fix this, other than a reshoot.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jodasche Michael
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:07:34 pm

Basically its only two words I need to him to be looking at the camera and saying which is a direct message to the viewer, which is " Hi Guys". He then continues to talk about a certain product release which can be viewed from a side angle and is not a direct message to the audience but rather an informative one. I have a bit of footage of him talking for about a minute to the audience. Do you think I could mix and match for those two words?

Thanks for the quick replies :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:09:56 pm

Only two words? Worth a shot.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:28:47 pm

Can you show us stills or video of the clips?

Return to posts index

Jodasche Michael
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:59:30 pm

Here are the stills.

Return to posts index

Jodasche Michael
on Mar 7, 2013 at 10:02:29 pm

Here are the stills.

Him looking away: //images.creativecow.net/254450/1_1.jpg

Him looking at the cam: http://images.creativecow.net/u/254450/uhd1.jpg

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 7, 2013 at 10:29:52 pm

[Shane Ross] "Only two words? Worth a shot."

With the "direct-to-camera" angle, wipe in somebody else's lips saying "Hi Guys". Send it to me, I'll do it for $40,000 -- way less than ILM or R&H, and I hear they don't really charge much for their (perhaps) over-rated services anyway, right? shane? 50 Large sound about right? Maybe put a little push on the still. Animate in a wink.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 10:31:02 pm

50 large sounds right. Then do it like Conan O'Brien does...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:01:48 pm

There is not any real hope for a convincing angle change there, sorry.

But you can work around this.

Use the second shot of him looking into the camera, freeze that at a good-looking frame, then turn it into your opening title card, by transitioning it to a graphic and adding a suitable title like:

"CEO So-and-so, on the new product rollout"

Put some dynamic music sting under it, you know the type. You could grab three stills in different poses or three soundless motion clips of him in mid-briefing, and put those, scaled down to around 20 percent, into one side (maybe a vertical stack down the left side) of the frame, and the larger still takes up 2/3 on the right side of the frame, a picture-in-picture effect.

Then transition to the side-on shot, and it should all look intentional. You could even put the audio for "hi, guys" under that still, but I wouldn't.

You can play with the still a little: mask it to cut him away from the background and turn the background area monochrome or all white or something, do a scaling up or down of the cut-out of the guy at the same time.

There have been several times in my life where I covered a mistake like this and it wound up looking like an intentional aesthetic choice, and people loved it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:41:31 am

Like this:

The three little screens are motion video without sound, maybe offset by a few frames for a progressing filmstrip effect. You could colorize them or make them monochrome... there are a million variations on that ...

A slow zoom move with the big image and flying in the title bar lower third with music, and it all starts to look like you planned it that way:-)

Be sure all other graphics and "looks" remain consistent for this to be believable as your aesthetic choice.

I made all this in fcp7 with one trip out to photoshop to cut a mask around the big still and layer that over the same shot with a blend mode/opacity change. If you took this project into Apple Motion you could REALLY sex it up more, but this should work okay as-is. Get it up and down in a few seconds and move on.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:48:45 am

Now THAT is how you use editing to solve this situation!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:10:29 am

Thanks Shane, that's high praise indeed!

I don't mean to brag, but after I edited the Zapruder film, everybody was convinced it was just one guy...:-)

Actually, it's just okay for something thrown together - now that I look at it, I should have moved the big guy square lower and scaled it up a touch, to make it more even with the top and bottom edges of the triptych on the side. But I was just messing around. If it was for money, I'd have been more careful.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:38:32 am

But this was just a proposal...something you aren't making money from. You yourself said not to do that:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/17/877626

(hee)

This was a good quickie to show someone the power of editing. And graphics

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:50:29 am

It's not a spec, it's a pro bono - I get enjoyment from helping others and sharing my expertise. Paying it forward for my old TV teacher Paul Delair back in junior high.

Plus, I get so much help and knowledge from you and other COW members, I feel obligated to help someone else if I think I can. I know that sound of desperation, having been on the other end of it plenty of times. So if I can play Batman once in a while for someone here, hey, I'll go for it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:07:32 am

Hey, that's why I post so much...I was helped out here by Jerry Hofmann and Tom Wolsky and a host of others.

Nice going Batman.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:40:57 am

1. Great suggestion for turning lemons into lemonade, Mark.

[Mark Suszko] "I don't mean to brag, but after I edited the Zapruder film, everybody was convinced it was just one guy...:-)"

2. Best. Sentence. Ever.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:46:43 pm

Thanks a lot guys. That just cost me $50,000. See if I ever buy you drinks at the NAB after party again.

I might suggest a large, slightly out of focus black&white (maybe halftone-process) background behind the
CEO-guy. Have no idea how much that cost the Scott brothers for "The Good Wife" opener... (which I admire a lot)

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]