FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting MXF files to Quicktimes for FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Converting MXF files to Quicktimes for FCP7
on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:27:34 pm

Does anyone know the easiest way to convert MXF files, shot with a Panasonic AG-HPX170P, into Quicktime files for editing in FCP7? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: Converting MXF files to Quicktimes for FCP7
on Mar 7, 2013 at 3:13:11 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1024784
good luck

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 7, 2013 at 3:55:50 pm

Thanks for the quick response Massimo, and the link to the great video. I watched it, but when I get to the 'Log and Transfer' stage, I still run into the same problem, where FCP7 won't let me import the MXF footage and says it's an unrecognizable format. In fact, the MXF files are showing up light/faded like my computer doesn't even really recognize them. Do you or anyone have any idea why I'm having these issues? Is some kind of conversion step necessary, and if so what's the best way to accomplish that?
I should mention, in case it's relevant, that I don't actually have a P2 reader on my Mac Pro at home, where I'm trying to do this, but rather I'm downloading the MXF footage on my work PC, which has a P2 reader, then putting the footage on a portable harddrive and taking it home, then connecting it to my Mac Pro at home and trying to get it into FCP7, where I keep running into this issue. I was thinking that step wouldn't make a difference, and maybe it doesn't, but just in case I wanted to mention that step and the fact my home computer doesn't have a P2 reader or any kind of P2 software, which I didn't think was necessary. Last I just wanted to mention that my MXF directory structure looks a little different than the one in Shane's video, in that it just has a contents folder with a bunch of sub-folders within it, but not that .txt. folder accompanying the contents folder in the tutorial video. Anyway, if anyone has any idea how I can get over this 'unrecognizable format' issue and get the footage into FCP7, I would greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Marcus van Bavel
on Mar 7, 2013 at 4:05:41 pm

You might try Raylight for Mac, which creates quicktime link files from P2 MXF files. It can also be used to export P2 files from FCP.

dvfilm.com/raylight/mac

Raylight by DVFilm
http://dvfilm.com/raylight

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:07:10 pm

Thanks Marcus, I do appreciate knowing about this software, which I will consider, but if possible I'd prefer not to pay $150 for new software when I understand Final Cut Pro's 'Log and Transfer' should be able to read/convert this footage. I just can't get it to do that. Also when I was looking at this software's reviews, this was one that interested me:

'The difference is that you get instantaneous access to your footage, instead of having to go through the Log & Transfer process. And you can work from the original footage or even the P2 cards if you want, whereas FCP's Log & Transfer forces you to take up twice as much space by creating Quicktime files (which take up space but also take time). Plus, because you avoid the whole Log & Transfer process, you avoid any issues that crop up when Apple breaks their system (which has happened on more than one occasion).'

So again this indicates that I should be able to handle these MXF files via FCP's Log & Transfer functions. Can you or anyone else suggest how I can get these clips to be acknowledged as readable files by FCP7, without buying new software? In Shane Ross's tutorial video suggested a few posts back, I see him simply open up those files and see them in the Log & Transfer window. Like I said I keep getting an error when I try to do that, and the files aren't recognized. Is there any other way, short of buying some kind of conversion software, I can overcome this issue and get this footage into FCP7? And if there isn't, do others agree this Raylight conversion software Marcus suggested is the best, cheapest option?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:55:18 pm

First off...here's the updated video.

Second...are you digging deep into the folders to find the MXF files? You shouldn't be. You need to select the root level...the folder that contains all of the files from the backed up card. So that means that first, you should have backed up each and every single file from that card, in the exact same folder structure. Basically make a folder, drag everything from that card onto that folder. (Or use Shotput Pro from imagineproducts.com that will do that automatically) Then, you select that folder...not digging into it...but the folder you just made...when you use Log and Transfer.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:36:56 pm

Thanks a lot, Shane, for responding to my post. Your tutorial is great, and yes I did attempt to select the entire directory structure and not dig around for the MXF file (although I tried that too when I couldn't make it work with the correct method of selecting the entire directory/structure!) I find the issue particularly frustrating because I deal with P2 cards a lot at work, using a PC and editing on Premiere Pro. What I'll do at work is copy the card's entire contents on to the external harddrive, and it's always a folder called 'Contents.' Then I will rename the 'Contents' folder but don't touch or rename any of the subfolders or their contents. I did the same thing in this case, when I'm trying to bring a P2 card's 'contents' folder home and edit it on my MacPro. I renamed the 'Contents' folder something else. Could that be the problem? Like I said it's never created a problem at work on the PC with Premiere Pro. So just to be sure I understand, you're saying within 'log and transfer' in FCP7, I simply try to open the main 'contents' folder and the footage should be viewable, the way it clearly is in your tutorial? Because that's exactly what I've been doing with no success. I'd certainly welcome any other thoughts or ideas, and thanks again for your great tutorial.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:46:07 pm

Yes...that is EXACTLY your problem. Don't rename CONTENTS. As I said...make a NEW folder...name that folder. Put the CONTENTS and LASTCLIP.txt file into that...and select THAT folder in FCP.

Do not rename any folder that you copy from the card.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:56:28 pm

Got it Shane, thanks a lot. I'd just always done it that way at work, and it had never caused a problem. But you did say that clearly and I will follow that from here onward. For some reason I'm also not seeing any LASTCLIP.txt file. So my last quick question is do you have any idea why that could be? I definitely did not ignore or fail to bring over any of the card's contents.
Very much appreciated again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:59:54 pm

[Neil Orman] "I'm also not seeing any LASTCLIP.txt file. So my last quick question is do you have any idea why that could be?"

Yeah. Whoever offloaded the cards didn't copy that over. They didn't copy over the full card contents. They only grabbed the CONTENTS folder because, hey, that works. Sure, it works for THAT NLE...might not work with all. FCP can work without that...it might prevent it from joining spanned clips from one card to the next, but it should still bring over the media.

Best practice for any DIT, anyone offloading any type of tapeless media is to make a new folder and grab everything. Or better yet, get software that does that for you, and double checks that everything was copied over. There are times that media files don't copy over. I SWEAR by ShotPut Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:02:25 pm

THANK YOU SHANE!

Return to posts index

Karen O'Donnell
on Nov 17, 2013 at 1:38:39 am

I am trying to backup from my card from canon xf100 and then want to get the mxf files into fcp7.
I was reading a post by Shane Ross, who has given very specific instructions for how to do this which is great. But I am not seeing the LastClip.txt file that he referred to ....I am looking at the card itself and it only has a contents folder.....I am not an editor but am trying to learn so that i can at least prepare the material for him.

I don't want to reuse this card until I know I'm backing up correctly.

Any comments?

thanks so much....karen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 17, 2013 at 4:12:19 am

Only P2 cameras have the LASTCLIP.TXT file. Other formats have other files.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Karen O'Donnell
on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:25:39 am

ok great....thanks....first issue resolved....now i will try to convert to be able to work in fcp7....i will watch your tutorial....thanks so much again....for newbies like me, it is very easy to become overwhelmed with the tech aspects....k

Return to posts index

Jacob Dammas
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:36:52 pm

Dear Shane,

I obviously watched your great tutorial too late because I have erased the INDEX and JOURNAL files in some of my folders with MFX video materials from a camcorder Canon XF100. I have tried naively to copy an INDEX and JOURNAL file from another volume into the folder that is missing the INDEX and JOURNAL files, but Final Cut Pro 7 won't import the MFX files in Log and Transfer. It just doesn't react at all to my command. No error code appears. Is there any other way I could import my MFX files, or any way I could re-create the INDEX and JOURNAL files, or fool FCP to think the folder has the correct structure and content ?

Thanking you in advance and best regards,
Jacob Dammas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 12, 2013 at 1:30:26 am

Without the full card structure, you then need to rely on MXF decoders, like MXF IMPORT:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jacob Dammas
on Jul 12, 2013 at 8:34:56 am

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Ashley Shambeck
on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:11:45 am

Hi!! My first time working with mfx files. I had to use a converter to .mov files. Weird thing happend though. First file set of mfx files converted great. The rest have a jagged edge around image.....any ideas? Thanks for help!

Ashley

Return to posts index

eason joy
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:55:22 pm

I was recommended by someone to use UFU Soft MXF Converter for Mac,which can helps convert MXF to QuickTime for FCP 7 with good quality.

Return to posts index

helen carry
on Feb 14, 2014 at 7:39:47 am

You can try one mxf converter,here is one url can help you http://www.freemxfconverter.com

Return to posts index

Ahilan Ratnamohan
on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:03:15 am

Hi Shane,

I thought I'd tag onto this post to ask you this.

I was given some footage from a cameraman recently. He had converted it from MXF to MOV (using Avid) so that I could use this in FCP7, but I am getting codec errors. He also gave me the original files, but these do not come, as you've described, with the 'CONTENT' folder and the LASTCLIP.txt. He's confirmed that he never changed this btw.

They came in an 'XDROOT' folder, therein are a bunch of folders, CLIP, EDIT, GENERAL, SUB... and some XML files.

Do you have any idea about how I can tackle this issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ahil

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 6, 2014 at 3:55:16 pm

That's footage from an F5 or F55 Sony camera. Not supported by FCP 7. I found a link that says there's a way to get it into FCP 7, but I can't attest to how well fCP 7 will work with them.

http://blog.abelcine.com/2013/04/05/how-to-import-f5f55-footage-in-fcp-avid...

Best to upgrade your editing software to work with latest camera tech. SO either Avid MC, Adobe Premiere Pro or FCX.

Or...you can see if EditReady from DivergentMedia.com will convert these to ProREs. It now converts MXF files. I just don't have F55 files to test this on. There's a free demo available.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ahilan Ratnamohan
on Oct 6, 2014 at 5:52:37 pm

Thanks I'll give it a read and look at EditReady.

Best,

Ahil

Return to posts index

Sam Windsor-Phillips
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:02:07 pm

Hey Shane,
Please help! I've been reading your posts in response to the problem of log and transfer of .MXF files into FCP 7. I have a load of files from the C300 and I've tried downloading the correct AVCHD plug-in from Canon, but everytime I try to import I get that same message - "CLIPS001" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.
So reading your posts, I may have bypassed the 'contents' folder and just copied the 'Clips' one.
What should I do? In some cases I still have the original 'contents' file but even then I still get the same message.
Well and truly stumped and any help would be appreciated.
Sam

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 8, 2015 at 11:00:47 pm

[Sam Windsor-Phillips] "I have a load of files from the C300 and I've tried downloading the correct AVCHD plug-in from Canon"

It's my understanding that the C300 only shoots XDCAM in an MXF container. It doesn't shoot AVCHD. The C100 does, but the C300, from all the projects I've edited footage from it...does not. Unless there's some lower setting I don't know about. That camera, AFAIK, only shoots XDCAM 422 in MXF. For that you need the Canon C300 log and transfer plugin for FCP 7.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/ci...

UNFORTUNATELY it is no longer offered...as FCP 7 was discontinued 4 years ago. Apparently Canon doesn't support older software, only the newer FCP-X.

But then you also said this:

[Sam Windsor-Phillips] "So reading your posts, I may have bypassed the 'contents' folder and just copied the 'Clips' one."

So you DID NOT archive the full card structure? That's not good. ALWAYS do that. That's the only way you can make sure that all NLE's can access your footage. Well, you can try to make the card structure. So do this...make a new folder...give it a unique reel name....like the project and backup number...or date. Then, in that, make a CONTENTS folder, and in there drop the CLIPS001 folder. I'm not sure that'll work, as there is another file in the CONTENTS folder that some NLE's, like FCP 7 via log and Transfer, and Avid via AMA...might need. A file ending in ".md5."

Without that file...or if you can't locate the Log and Transfer plugin, then all hope is not lost. EditReady is an application that will convert this for you. It can be found at digitalmedia.com. And reggiant.com also has software that can not only archive, but convert as well...it's called BULLETPROOF. Both offer demos, and both work well. I might suggest Bulletproof, because you need a good solid way to archive your footage as well...unless you are good at RETAINING THE FULL CARD STRUCTURE manually. Personally, I use EditReady, as I have other tape backup tools (Shotput Pro).

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:44:27 am

This thread was very helpful. and I want to post my thought about how to solve this kinda problem. First everyone knows that this MXF files can be supported by FPC7 directly, or you can update your FCP to FCPX , it may also help. And lots of camera brands like Canon, Sony offered their plug-in to help customer solve this kinda problem. Or turn to third-party software amy also very helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]