FORUMS: list search recent posts

Near-constant re-rendering of Apple ProRes 422 (LT) clips in FCP 7.0.3 sequence line

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rebecca sylla
Near-constant re-rendering of Apple ProRes 422 (LT) clips in FCP 7.0.3 sequence line
on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:01:59 am

My first ever post since joining Creative Cow. Here goes...

I shot video using a Canon 5Diii at 1920x1080, 30p.
I loaded the H.264 files onto my Mac (2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.6.8) and converted them using MPEG Streamclip with the following settings:

Apple ProRes 422 (LT)
Quality: 100%
Sound: 48 kHz
Frame Size: 1920 x 1080 (unscaled)
Field Dominance: Upper Field First
Deactivated/Unchecked: Interlaced Scaling
Rotation: No
Zoom: 100%

When I first started bringing clips into a new sequence line - and fcp asked if I would like to change the settings to match those of the source material - I clicked "yes." When I checked my clip settings in the timeline, it said this:

Frame Size: 1920 x 1080, HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Field Dominance: Upper (Odd)
Editing Timebase: 29.97
QUicktime Video Settings:
Compressor: APple ProRes 422 (LT)
Audio Settings:
Rate: 48 kHz
Depth: 16 bit
Config: Channel Grouped

Video Processing: Render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV
Process Maximum WHite as: White
Motion Filtering QUality: Normal

Render Control:
Render and Playback: (Checked) filters
(Checked) Frame BLending for Speed
Frame Rate: 100% of Sequence Editing TImebase
Resolution: 100% of Sequence Frame Size
Codec: Same as Sequence Codec
Master Templates and Motion Projects: Quality Normal

Did I miss something in my MPEG Streamclip conversion settings? Is it normal to re-render practically every edit, no matter how minor (granted, I have multiple video tracks, but only two tracks of audio)? Even when I delete a clip from a track that is below another track filled with clips, I have to re-render the clip above it.

Yikes. All this render time is good for Words With Friends... but not deadlines. Thanks for any guidance!

Rebecca

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Near-constant re-rendering of Apple ProRes 422 (LT) clips in FCP 7.0.3 sequence line
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:03:27 pm

Yes...you messed up the conversion. There should be NO field dominance with your footage. It's progressive...no fields. You somehow made it interlaced.

MPEG STREAMCLIP is great, but very modifiable and really for people who know how to tweak settings. If you don't know all that tech stuff, best to either use Compressor that has presets, 5DtoRGB or better yet, Magic Bullet Grinder that will just do it for you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

rebecca sylla
Re: Near-constant re-rendering of Apple ProRes 422 (LT) clips in FCP 7.0.3 sequence line
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:27:05 am

Thank you, Shane. I will try using Compressor.

Best,

Rebecca

Return to posts index

rebecca sylla
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:51:37 am

Shane,

One more question for you about my raw footage. I'm new to DSLR's. Using a Canon 5Diii, I shot video using the following settings and assumed that the raw h.264 footage is progressive:

Manual setting
1920x1080
30fps
IPB
My shutter rate was 60
My ISO 320

I imported one of my h.264 files to fcp to see what information the browser gave about the field dominance. It says "upper (odd)". I'm concerned that the settings in my Canon are incorrect for shooting progressive footage. I've looked at the manual and can't find an explanation. Yikes.

Thank you for any guidance. Steep learning curve on my end.

Rebecca

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:27:09 pm

Don't bring in the raw footage. FCP doesn't like H.264 and will do weird things, even report interlacing where there isn't.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

rebecca sylla
on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:36:09 pm

Huge relief to know that fcp doesn't always provide accurate information about h.264 files. I was beginning to panic that there were problems with my raw footage. I didn't intend to edit in h.264 but couldn't figure out how to see the raw file information. My sleep-deprived thinking.

So, what is your advice on how I might continue with what I have, seeing that I am four-fifths through my project. Will my video be degraded? Yes, I'm rendering like a fool, but almost to the finish line. THe thought of re-converting all my raw footage and starting completely over makes me want to order a margarita--or two hundred. Is it possible to achieve decent looking visuals if I just keep slogging through with my render-rific setup and interlaced files? Should I convert my sequence line so that the clip settings have no field dominance? Will that not change anything? Make things worse?

Thank you, Shane, for your patience with me. I truly appreciate your help.

Rebecca

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:01:47 am

I'd recompress all the footage again....this time using Compressor or Grinder...something that's easy and one step. Make sure that the names on the new footage all match the old footage (no added extensions...Compressor does that)...take the old media offline, reconnnect to the new media.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

rebecca sylla
on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:20:18 am

Thanks, Shane. I'll give it a go. And, I'll keep that margarita on standby. :)

Rebecca

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2013 at 1:05:28 am

Even though the camera originals are progressive, if MPEGStreamclip added interlace and the sequence matches, then there should be no rendering required.

Sometimes I have seen weird things like this and selecting all and then remove attributes> Motion somehow resets some sort of sizing flag that is wrong. So it may not be the interlacing at all, although as Shane points out the camera footage is progressive so interlaced is the wrong setting.

Beware of resetting all shots in case you have done some resizing. If not then try it. Aslo you could tick opacity and distort as well, again if you haven't applied any to your shots deliberately.

Return to posts index

rebecca sylla
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:01:11 pm

Hi Shane,

I tried what you suggested. I reconverted my h.264 files using Compressor, keeping the same exact names but placing the files in a new folder. I took my FCP files offline and reconnected my project files to the newly converted Apple ProRes 422 (LT) files. My FCP browser says that the newly attached media has no field dominance. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in terms of rendering. I tried creating a new test sequence and stacking clips from my browser into the new timeline. I stacked three clips without audio. It told me I had to render the files. When I look at my clip settings in the sequence line it says:

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Field Dominance: None
Editing TImebase: 29.97
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422 (LT)
Audio Rate: 48 kHz
Depth: 16-bit
Config: Channel Grouped

I am stumped. Any other things I should check

Thanks for not giving up on me. :)

Rebecca

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:38:21 pm

Take one of the new clips....drop it into a new, fresh sequence. Clips YES to make the settings match. Remove it. Copy and paste the clips from the olde sequence to the new one.

Better?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

rebecca sylla
on Apr 2, 2013 at 5:37:30 pm

Hi Shane,

I should have responded sooner. I did exactly as you suggested and still encountered strange rendering issues. A real mystery! However, I'm grateful that my project was not interlaced and am very happy with the final product. I dragged myself to the finish line. How I got there was by changing a setting in my preferences under 'general' which allowed me to view my unrendered edits, albeit in a limited and lower resolution/playback mode. I unchecked the "limit real time video to" button.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it!!

Best,

Rebecca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]