FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio post workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melidere Wright
Audio post workflow
on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:09:35 am

I've just started editing a short film and have been in contact with the sound designer. I've never worked with a pro sound designer before so there's a few things I'm a bit confused about.

Previously I've just sent the OMF to the sound designer and a hard drive with all the rushes on. This time I have been asked for renamed rushes - renamed how exactly? Should I have done this before I started editing? As far as I know there is no sound report (I haven't received one anyway) - is this going to be a big problem?

If you could give me a few pointers that would be amazing.

Thanks,
Meli

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Audio post workflow
on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:15:44 am

Why are you asking us? Ask them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Melidere Wright
on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:24:03 am

Fair point - but I just wanted to try and get a little more info before asking her. I'd rather not come across as completely clueless if it's standard procedure (and she's a pro, I don't want to hassel her with 'unnecessary' questions).

Also, she can't answer my query about my workflow - whether I need to rename my audio before continuing the edit.

If you guys can't help then I will of course ask her, though I guess it may be useful for others to know of any 'normal' audio workflows too.

Thanks,
Meli

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:28:40 am

I've been working in TV for 15 years...editing for 8 of those. I've never heard a request like that. I've been asked for an EDL of the audio, and the sources...and for an OMF or AAF. But renamed sources? No clue. I'd ask her.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Melidere Wright
on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:40:10 am

Ah fantastic - I will go back and ask her then. Good to have the reassurance I wasn't missing something.

Thanks very much for replying so quickly,
Meli

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:11:21 am

Rushes shouldn't be renamed after editing. Perhaps before editing but once you start to cut, changing file names can be a huge problem. Unless there are issues like duplicated file names or absolutely no information on what audio files or folders match scenes or reels then even changing the copy of files going to sound post is not normal.

Sound recordists in the case of double system sound should have done some sound sheets. If it is double system it is wise to involve the sound post team before editing starts (before shooting ideally) to make sure there is a workflow that suits. Do you cut with guide and let them reconform? Not without a plan that goes back to how the sound was shot and how timecode, reel numbers and file folders are organised.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]